Brel translations? Needed for university portfolio to be handed in on Monday!
Thread poster: David Howard

David Howard  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:29
French to English
+ ...
Apr 18, 2008

Having ordered a copy of Infiniment (2004) which includes official translation of Brel's songs, the seller has since decided that they don't have it in stock. Unfortunately I need the translations for a university portfolio to be handed in on Monday!!! Does anybody know where I might be able to get these translations at short notice?

The songs I need translations for are

La Fanette
Jef
Jaurés
Les Bigotes
Les bonbons
Le tango funebre

I have others translated by Anne Marie de Grazia, but can't find anything for the above.

Many thanks,

David

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-04-18 11:26]

Direct link Reply with quote

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:29
English to Dutch
+ ...
Into what language? Apr 18, 2008

Do you need them translated into English?

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Brel translations Apr 18, 2008

Hi Margreet,

Thanks for you reply. It's not that I need them translated into English, I could probably just about manage that myself. It's just that I'm aware that there are already a number of translations in existence, and these would suit my translation portfolio better (just to be added to the apendix).

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
For what it's worth Apr 18, 2008

Hi David,

I haven't been able to find the actual translations, but perhaps these links are helpful (especially the information on Arnold Johnston)

http://www.wmich.edu/wmu/news/2005/06/007.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_Brel

Good luck; I'm sorry I can't help you any further, but I've a deadline to meet today.

Irene Schlotter, Dipl.-Übers.
Spain
English to German
+ ...
Check Youtube Apr 19, 2008

or other sites; I found lots of lyrics both in French and English by just entering 'Brel lyrics English' or the such. Of course the quality of the subtitles or lyrics may not be the one you are looking for...

Here is a video of La Fanette with English subs, for example:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1dnmr_jacques-brel-la-fanette-english-sub_dating

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 26, 2008

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to thank you both for your replies.

I managed to find some of the translations but decided against using the Youtube ones cos the quality wasn't so good. It should be fine though, the task wasn't to translate them and they were only intended for the Apendix.

Thanks again,

David

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Brel translations? Needed for university portfolio to be handed in on Monday!

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search