Best spanish-english technical dicitonary?
Thread poster: Chris Bruton
Chris Bruton
Chris Bruton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:55
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
Apr 25, 2008

One that would cover many fields, and be affordable. thanks

Miguel Jimenez
Miguel Jimenez  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
Brandstetter Apr 25, 2008

I think Brandstetter dictionaries are the best.
Are expensive but very good.

Best regards

Miguel

RichardDeegan
RichardDeegan
Spanish to English
Try Robb Apr 25, 2008

I and many of my colleaques here have found the "Engineer's Dictionary"/ Diccionario para Ingenieros" by Louis /Luis A. Robb as one of the most complete and accurate general technical dictionaries available, including terms not found in "specialized" (i.e. mining, geology, construction, electrical, etc) dictionaries.
The copy I use was published by CESCA, but as Mr. Robb is/was a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers, there are probably other publishers.

Carolina Carabecho
Carolina Carabecho  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another suggestion Apr 25, 2008

Hi Chris,

I'm afraid this is rather expensive but it is very good!

Collazo Dictionary English—Spanish of Informatics, Computing, and other subjects. Volumes I (A-R) and II (S-Z)

Description:

This work has two volumes which define more than 2500 words about boolean algebra, calculating, computer graphics, computers, minicomputers, electronica, satellite communications, internet,
... See more
Hi Chris,

I'm afraid this is rather expensive but it is very good!

Collazo Dictionary English—Spanish of Informatics, Computing, and other subjects. Volumes I (A-R) and II (S-Z)

Description:

This work has two volumes which define more than 2500 words about boolean algebra, calculating, computer graphics, computers, minicomputers, electronica, satellite communications, internet, image technology, information technology, mathematics, statistics, microprocessors, data processing, data processing programs, data processing systems, telecommunications, television, information theory, text processing, videography, video technology, acoustics, electroacoustics, business administration, astronomy, auditing, finances, computational applications, graphic arts, automation of offices, science and technology, movies, theater, construction of models, mechanized accounting, inventory control, documentation and communications, studies of viability, geophysics, magnetism, systems engineering, linguistics, operating investigation, optics and rationalization of work.
Collapse

Alfredo Fernández Martínez
Alfredo Fernández Martínez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Routledge are quite good Apr 25, 2008

And you can search for the word on the CD, rather than having to browse the paper edition.

It works good to me.

All the best,

Alfredo

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
None Apr 25, 2008

Chris Bruton wrote:

One that would cover many fields, and be affordable. thanks

Sorry, but there is no single dictionary to cover your request. If they cover many fields, sometimes some fields are not well covered; it has happened many times that a translation provided by Routledge or Collazo or Robbs (I do have them all; and about 157 dictionaries and glossaries) is not used by any single Spanish speaker savvy in that specialized area. Even though, they are good dictionaries. They have to be used being critical.
Besides all of them are expensive.

Nevertheless, I would recommend you to buy, little by little, all the dictionaries recommended by my colleagues.

Kind regards

Clarisa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best spanish-english technical dicitonary?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »