Computer Science: Looking for French Style Guides
Thread poster: Etudiant
Etudiant
English to French
May 7, 2008

Dear all,

I am a French student working on a dissertation whose subject is about style and register issues translators have to face while performing a technical or scientific translation, in the Computer Science field.

I am looking for any material or even opinions, which could help me in this task. In particular, I need to compare different French style guides to extract common/different criteria (such as conciseness, repetition, depersonalization, etc.) used to make an idiomatic translation. I already have the SUN Microsystems and Microsoft style guides, but I need some more.

Most importantly, I need to find some examples of bi-texts (English source texts and their French translations), which illustrate the difficulties in terms of style and register a technical/scientific IT translator encounters in his job. Some of these translations may contain usual mistakes, which could be also used to illustrate my point.

Thank you very much for your help and experience,

Kind regards
Sam

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Computer Science: Looking for French Style Guides

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search