Thread poster: Irene Elmerot

Irene Elmerot  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 01:04
Member (2005)
Dutch to Swedish
+ ...
May 9, 2008

A friend needs to check some (south) Korean texts, but doesn't know much about how to use quotation marks, "to" dashes etc. in Korean. Does anyone here now a good source of information on this matter? (She is Korean, so she reads the language). It has to be available outside of Korea too, at least by internet shops or the like.
Much appreciated!

Direct link Reply with quote

Jason Kim
South Korea
Local time: 07:34
Member (2007)
English to Korean
You may try amazon.com or the like. May 10, 2008

For example, http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=korean.

Question marks in Korean text are used much the same way as in English. The "to" dash is usually"~" in Korean but you may use "-" as in English, which is a kind of loose usage in Korean though.

Good luck to you and your friend.

ps. Oh, it was quotation marks, not question marks. Quotation marks in Korean are almost the same as those in English.

[Edited at 2008-05-10 13:28]

Sweden
Member (2005)
Dutch to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks ... May 10, 2008

I didn't really think of amazon.com, since I thought it might be better to get a Korean book in Korean
My friend still has family over there, so if you know of a good book for orthography that can be bought in any bookstore there, please let me know!

But regarding your comment, do you mean that the "to" dash is a tilde, the "curvy" one? Or was that just a html mistake, that transformed whatever dash you wrote into a tilde ~ on my screen? It's so fascinating, all these signs in all these languages

Much appreciated!!
/Irene

Jason Hajun Kim wrote:

For example, http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=korean.

Question marks in Korean text are used much the same way as in English. The "to" dash is usually"~" in Korean but you may use "-" as in English, which is a kind of loose usage in Korean though.

Good luck to you and your friend.

ps. Oh, it was quotation marks, not question marks. Quotation marks in Korean are almost the same as those in English.

[Edited at 2008-05-10 13:28]

Jason Kim
South Korea
Local time: 07:34
Member (2007)
English to Korean
Here is what I use May 11, 2008

and I find it very informative and useful though it's a small book (240 pages in total).
It has almost everything your friend needs to know about writing/using Korean correctly. It can be bought in a large book store or on the Internet. I'm not sure if they would send the book to Sweden but you or your friend may check with them.

Please refer to the following link:

http://www.kyobobook.co.kr/product/detailViewKor.laf?mallGb=KOR&ejkGb=KOR&clickOrder=LEB&barcode=9788987522388

You will see the book but all the information is in Korean. The title of the book is "논술의 기본 한글 맟춤법과 띄어쓰기" meaning "Writing basics: Korean orthography including word-spacing rules." It's target readers are highschool students preparing for college entrance exam. If your friend finished secondary schools in Korea, she will not have problem reading/understanding the book.

Yes, the "curvy" one is used in Korean, for example, May 15 ~ May 31. But you may also write May 15 - May 31, which is a kind of anglicized usage. But the curvy one is correct in terms of Korean orthography, and this book says so.

Good luck.
Jason

[Edited at 2008-05-11 08:32]

Sweden
Member (2005)
Dutch to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you!! May 11, 2008

Excellent!
THanks a lot!!

/Irene

Jason Hajun Kim wrote:

and I find it very informative and useful though it's a small book (240 pages in total).
It has almost everything your friend needs to know about writing/using Korean correctly. It can be bought in a large book store or on the Internet. I'm not sure if they would send the book to Sweden but you or your friend may check with them.

Please refer to the following link:

http://www.kyobobook.co.kr/product/detailViewKor.laf?mallGb=KOR&ejkGb=KOR&clickOrder=LEB&barcode=9788987522388

You will see the book but all the information is in Korean. The title of the book is "논술의 기본 한글 맟춤법과 띄어쓰기" meaning "Writing basics: Korean orthography including word-spacing rules." It's target readers are highschool students preparing for college entrance exam. If your friend finished secondary schools in Korea, she will not have problem reading/understanding the book.

Yes, the "curvy" one is used in Korean, for example, May 15 ~ May 31. But you may also write May 15 - May 31, which is a kind of anglicized usage. But the curvy one is correct in terms of Korean orthography, and this book says so.

Good luck.
Jason

[Edited at 2008-05-11 08:32]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Korean orthography/punctuation book?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search