TRADOS - what is it and how does it help a translator?
Thread poster: Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 05:01
German to Romanian
+ ...
Jan 11, 2002

I have heard about TRADOS very much since I visited the ProZ page, and I have also noticed that many clients require TRADOS. Could anyone give me a short explanation what it is and how it helps a translator?

Thank you very much for your time.

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
It's a Translation Memory program Jan 11, 2002

Hi Eli!

Trados is a so-called CAT (computer-assisted translation) or Translation Memory program. It basically allows you to \"recycle\" your translations.

Take the example

\"Der Hund stand vor der Tür\"

You translate it as

\"The dog stood in front of the door\"

Two days later the same sentence comes up again, and your \"memory\" remembers the way you translated it the last time and suggests that translation to you (a 100% ma
... See more
Hi Eli!

Trados is a so-called CAT (computer-assisted translation) or Translation Memory program. It basically allows you to \"recycle\" your translations.

Take the example

\"Der Hund stand vor der Tür\"

You translate it as

\"The dog stood in front of the door\"

Two days later the same sentence comes up again, and your \"memory\" remembers the way you translated it the last time and suggests that translation to you (a 100% match).

Imagine you then get the sentence

\"Die Katze stand vor der Tür\".

Trados would tell you that you had the sentence \"Der Hund stand vor der Tür\" a few days ago, and tell you how you translated it (a fuzzy match)... All you have to do is swap \"dog\" with \"cat\" and away you go!!

It\'s very worth while if you\'re dealing with repetitive texts, like financial statements, contracts, etc. If you\'re a literary translator it might not be so appropriate!!

Often, when agencies require you to use Trados they will supply you with the \"memory\" to use as well, which means that you get to recycle their existing translations. The downside is that they often want you to take a cut for 100% matches and sometimes even for fuzzies.

Many people criticize Trados greatly, saying the time they spend setting up projects, etc. costs them more time and effort than just doint the translation \"straight\", so what\'s the point? But I can\'t imagine working without it! It\'s boosted my output levels no end and helps to make my quality more consistent

For more information, check out www.trados.com.

Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
Oh yes, you'll need to take some kind of training course! Jan 11, 2002

If you\'re new to the program (and to the concept), I can only recommend that you take some kind of training course to get you started...

Elvira Stoianov
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the answer Jan 11, 2002

Thank you very much for the reply. It was exactly what I was looking for. I checked the TRADOs website, but it would have taken me too long to get the answer, and since I have a dial-up connection it would have been too expensive and I might not even have got the right answer. So thanks again very much. You saved me a lot of time and a lot of money.

Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:01
German to English
+ ...
Trados is too expensive Jan 11, 2002

My opinion is still that CATs mostly help customers and agencies to save money. It makes the job a bit easier, if you have highly repetetive texts (e.g. automotive service manuals), which means you can increase your throughput substantially. But CATs really ripped down the translation rates for such work, so the downsides, in my opinion, are heavier.

I have seen almost no agency offering full payment for 100% repetitions. If they are nice, they ususally pay in this case
... See more

My opinion is still that CATs mostly help customers and agencies to save money. It makes the job a bit easier, if you have highly repetetive texts (e.g. automotive service manuals), which means you can increase your throughput substantially. But CATs really ripped down the translation rates for such work, so the downsides, in my opinion, are heavier.

I have seen almost no agency offering full payment for 100% repetitions. If they are nice, they ususally pay in this case for checking (lets say 33% of the translation rate), if not, they filter out the matches totally.

For so called \"fuzzy\" matches (e.g. 2/3rd of the sentence are repetitive, the rest is new - e.g. \"tighten the bolt to the specified torque\" in the translation memory and \"tighten the NUT to the specified torque\" would be a fuzzy match) most agencies ask for a discount, e.g. 66% of the regular rate.Some agencies even split finer, like \"100% for matches, 75% for 70 to 99% fuzzy, 50% for ....etc.

I did not buy TRADOS, because it is very expensive, unhandy (you have to stick a piece of hardware, the \"dongle\", in your computer port to make the software work - it does not work without it) - beware if you loose it or it becomes defective and fails at the wrong moment (think about Murphy\'s law .... it allways happens at the wrong time!). Also as it is the case with most software, as a translator you really use only a fraction of the features.

On the other hand, you cannot get around using a CAT anymore, if you want to do serious translation business.But there are many other very nice CATs, some even free.For the translator they do the same job.

I use SDLX, which is fully TRADOS compatible at a fraction of the costs (about $120). It works absolutely perfect and is accepted as TRADOS equivalent by most agencies.
Collapse

Hans-Henning Judek
German to English
+ ...
Good information source Jan 11, 2002

Just to give you one good information source:

http://www.sslmit.unibo.it/zanettin/cattools.htm

Hewre you can find almost anything about CATs.

By the way, a good free tool is WORDFAST.

http://members.aol.com/ychampo/cat.htm

... See more

It integrates into Word and is very small (just a couple of K), which might be advantageous with your slow dial-up connection
Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 23:01
German to English
+ ...
Agree with Hans-Henning Jan 11, 2002

Trados should be avoided - Déjà Vu and SDLX are both easier to use and cheaper. In addition, DV and SDLX are compatible with Trados files, but Trados is \"hostile\".

Above all, when working with CAT software, you should always guard against being taken advantage of by some agencies who will try to push your rates down on account of CAT. CAT should primarily serve you (ie, working faster and more efficiently).

Elvira Stoianov
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks again Jan 12, 2002

Thanks for the useful information. I will check out those links.

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Karin Adamczyk (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:01
French to English
Beginner's on-line help system available for Trados Jan 13, 2002

The subject says it all. Trados freelance users are working on an on-line help system to help others get started with Trados.

Have a look at the start at http://www.macroconsulting.com/Trados/index.html

Also, Yves has provided a prototype version of Wordfast that can extract text from PDF files so the text can be translated in Word.

More i
... See more
The subject says it all. Trados freelance users are working on an on-line help system to help others get started with Trados.

Have a look at the start at http://www.macroconsulting.com/Trados/index.html

Also, Yves has provided a prototype version of Wordfast that can extract text from PDF files so the text can be translated in Word.

More info at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/

Karin Adamczyk
Collapse

O María Elena Guerrero
O María Elena Guerrero  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good information source Jan 13, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-11 23:31, JE-Access wrote:

By the way, a good free tool is WORDF... See more
Quote:

It integrates into Word and is very small (just a couple of K), which might be advantageous with your slow dial-up connection

Collapse

O María Elena Guerrero
O María Elena Guerrero  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good information source Jan 13, 2002

Quote:

By the way, a good free tool is WORDF... See more
Quote:

Thank you for your information about sites. However, I tried to download Wordfast but the site was not found. The strange thing is that the manual and the tools can be downloaded but not the program. Do you know about any other way to download it? ▲ Collapse

Hans-Henning Judek
German to English
+ ...
400k - that is ALL Jan 14, 2002

Mary,

I was surprised as you were. In a couple of seconds the whole program was downloaded. If you are accustomed to the 10+MB \"bloat ware\" of others, this is like a miracle.

The whole thing is just over 400k! Read the instruction and it installs like a charm.

I am quite curious how good you find it.

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:01
Danish to English
+ ...
Wordfast not downloading Jan 24, 2002

Eli. I hope this will help you, if you can\'t get Wordfast for use with PDF files. You can extract PDF text yourself and insert it into the Word program. When downloading a PDF File you can convert on your own to a doc file or txt file and then with the PDF writer return the document in the PDF format. To extract the text from the PDF so you can work with it, click on the page you want to work on, click edit, click select all, click copy, and then open your Word program. Click new, click paste... See more
Eli. I hope this will help you, if you can\'t get Wordfast for use with PDF files. You can extract PDF text yourself and insert it into the Word program. When downloading a PDF File you can convert on your own to a doc file or txt file and then with the PDF writer return the document in the PDF format. To extract the text from the PDF so you can work with it, click on the page you want to work on, click edit, click select all, click copy, and then open your Word program. Click new, click paste, and you have the text on that page copied from the PDF file. It can be a bit tricky but does work. You will need to get the PDF writer 5 which is a tremendous program and will convert any text to PDF file, when you want to return the text to your client in a PDF format. I am taking it for granted that you have the PDF reader (which is a free download). The text is then ready for translation with any CAT tool on the market.Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Wordfast URL Jan 24, 2002

Wordfast is located at champollion.net (note there is no \"www\" in the address).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS - what is it and how does it help a translator?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »