Direct link Reply with quote

Terry Gilman  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:40
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Thanks. Wordspy Apr 27, 2003

This site - posted here earlier, I believe, in response to a CxO question - offers explanations of terms as in Sharp\'s list, and is still being updated.

http://www.wordspy.com/words/CXO.asp

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
And don't forget buzzwhack Apr 27, 2003

www.buzzwhack.com is one of my favorite sites - and they offer a buzzword-a-day e-mail service, with terms like:

air cover

born digital

budgetunity

cantenna

centergistic

CNN effect

deconflicted

Dixie-Chicked

dotted line

embedded

fabless

googlewash

gridmaster

homing from work

pocket of resistance

preward

refrigerator art

refrigerator magnet

reverbiagized

zombience

Love it!

Alison

RHELLER
United States
Local time: 22:40
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 27, 2003

Thanks Terry and Allison!

Buzz-whack is too much! This one is really funny (and is only about 3 weeks old):

Dixie-Chicked: To be reviled or boycotted for voicing an unpopular political sentiment. \"Dreamworks is worried that Chris Rock may criticize Bush and the movie will get Dixie-Chicked.\"

[addsig]

Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Great, thanks for buzzwhacked... Apr 27, 2003

Here\'s a Q I had last week that\'s not on either site: \"Your blood should be bottled.

Was bedeutet das?\" In the context, it was a compliment (like fine wine, I suppose), but does it have a ...er... history? In the event, I said it reminded me of the old expression \"drink her bathwater,\" which of course elicted groans and eye rolling. But could it be from that TV show I\'ve never seen Buffy/Vampire?

Lavandula
Dutch to English
+ ...
bottled blood Apr 28, 2003

...I think this is what they used to do with the blood of saints (as some sort of icon??) - I used to have a boss who used to tell me my blood should be bottled, and that\'s the explanation he offered me when I was puzzled. He could be wrong, of course - it does sound kind of ghoulish!

Lavandula

Quote:

On 2003-04-27 22:10, Terry Gilman wrote:

Here\'s a Q I had last week that\'s not on either site: \"Your blood should be bottled.

Was bedeutet das?\" In the context, it was a compliment (like fine wine, I suppose), but does it have a ...er... history? In the event, I said it reminded me of the old expression \"drink her bathwater,\" which of course elicted groans and eye rolling. But could it be from that TV show I\'ve never seen Buffy/Vampire?

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:40
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
Sacred and profane? Apr 28, 2003

[quote]

On 2003-04-28 05:07, Lavandula wrote:

...I think this is what they used to do with the blood of saints (as some sort of icon??) - I used to have a boss who used to tell me my blood should be bottled, and that\'s the explanation he offered me when I was puzzled. He could be wrong, of course - it does sound kind of ghoulish!

Lavandula

[quote]

I do like Lavandula\'s explaination.

Another meaning which is sometimes intended in some earthly rather than saintly contexts - and which is DEFINITELY NOT APPLICABLE to you and your boss\'s conversation - is that someone\'s blood is so rich in alcohol from over imbibing that it could be bottled and sold as an alcoholic liquor....

J Fox  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 17:40
German to English
+ ...
Web Economy Bull**** Generator Apr 28, 2003

This is one of my favourite sites of all time:

http://www.dack.com/web/bullshit.html

The fabulous \"bullshit generator\" provides you with utter nonsense like expedite B2B action-items, embrace global architectures and cultivate interactive communities.

A must for those corporate business cases.

Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Actually, alcohol... Apr 28, 2003

... could play a role, so thanks for mentioning it, Giuli.

This comment - your blood should be bottled - was from a UK person to a German about a defintely weak if not outright lousy draft I edited in the middle of the night last week. I was not drinking or on drugs, just sleep deprived, which, as I have read elsewhere, has similar effects.

So, though potentially painful, good to know that this phrase is not really a compliment.

Thanks all the same for your tactful formulation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help is available! business jargon website

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search