https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/105673-translating_a_website_without_using_html_files.html

Translating a website without using html-files
Thread poster: Judith Furness-Bosselaar
Judith Furness-Bosselaar
Judith Furness-Bosselaar
Netherlands
Local time: 11:28
English to Dutch
+ ...
May 27, 2008

Is it possible to translate a website without using html-files or copying and pasting it into a .doc file?

kind regards,

Judith Furness-Bosselaar

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:28
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Why not? May 27, 2008

What is the original format. If you use a CAT-tool (I would use SDLX for the purpose) their will be a procedure for the translation of different file types.
Sometimes outsourcers send the content as doc.
You can strip the html-tags using this link:
http://www.wordhtmlcleaner.co.uk/index.asp?sContentType=&sOptions=

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:28
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Cats Cradle May 28, 2008

Have a look at
http://www.stormdance.net/software/catscradle/overview.htm

Cats Cradle will pull out translatable text, so you don't have to tweeze it out from html code. It even has a CAT tool inside.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sure, but... May 28, 2008

Furness-M.A. wrote:
Is it possible to translate a website without using html-files or copying and pasting it into a .doc file?

Absolutely. Leave it up to the client to put the translation back into his web site files. But... be kind to the web site designer by delivering the work in a table with two columns -- source text left, translation right, and put each paragraph in a separate row. Otherwise the client won't know what goes where.

Judith Furness-Bosselaar
Judith Furness-Bosselaar
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for your replies May 28, 2008

Thank you, my question was answered. I was actually wondering if there was a way to translate a website without receiving any files from the client and there is not.

kind regards,

Judith

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Well, yes, there IS! May 28, 2008

Furness-M.A. wrote:

I was actually wondering if there was a way to translate a website without receiving any files from the client and there is not.

Well, yes, in fact there is: you can download the pages from the Net yourself and, providing the text exists as 'proper' text and is not all embedded in images, you can either copy and paste it into a Word (or other...) document, which will (irretrievably) lose you the HTML codes, or use an external tool as suggested above.

It all really depends what your purpose is? If you only have to translate the text and return it to the client, then it's up to them to worry about re-converting it to HTML; however, if you are obliged to return an identical but translated file, you'd probably be better off using one of the utilities that lets you translate between the codes.

A lot of my clients ask for this service, and I give them a choice of priced options — if they insist I recover the pages on line, then I make a separate charge for the pre-processing, and then charge for the translation more or less per word as normal. If I don't do this, I find I can waste a disproporitiionate amount of time messing around with the text formatting, for what turns out to be only a pitifully small number of words.

[Edited at 2008-05-28 14:17]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating a website without using html-files

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »