Book: The German Legal System and Legal Language
Thread poster: Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:14
German to English
+ ...
Jul 9, 2008

I am thinking about buying The German Legal System and Legal Language by Fisher. Have you found this to be an authoritative/useful source for basic legal terminology and concepts? I already have Dietl, Romain, Creifelds, Black's & Angloamerikanische Rechtssprache and am looking for additional resources. Thought this might be a nice companion to Angloamerikanische Rechtssprache.

Béatrice Leclercq
Béatrice Leclercq  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:14
French to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Other possible terminology resource Jul 9, 2008

Hello Daina,

I am sorry I can't comment on the book you are asking about, but I would like to draw your attention to the publications of the German Translators Association, you can find and order them on www.bdue.de

Especially the book "Gerichts- und Behördenterminologie" by Ulrich Daum could be quite interesting for legal terminology and concepts. It was published in 2005 and contains a lot
... See more
Hello Daina,

I am sorry I can't comment on the book you are asking about, but I would like to draw your attention to the publications of the German Translators Association, you can find and order them on www.bdue.de

Especially the book "Gerichts- und Behördenterminologie" by Ulrich Daum could be quite interesting for legal terminology and concepts. It was published in 2005 and contains a lot of useful information, also appendices such as a list of abbreviations, latin expressions and so on.

Béatrice
Collapse

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Not massively impressed Jul 9, 2008

Daina,

Maybe you could ask the same question on e.g. pt, and you might get some more qualified answers, including from experts like Margaret.

Personally, I've never been particularly impressed by the Fisher book (is there a new edition coming out soon?), but possibly I'm jaundiced because none of the English textbooks on German law competently handle financial/legal terminology IMHO.

Robin

Béatrice Leclercq
Germany
French to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Just a spontaneous attempt to help Jul 10, 2008

Well, sorry for intruding the english-speaking forums despite the fact that it's not my working language. I know I did not answer the question Daina asked, but I spontaneously thought of this book I have on my shelf, and since it's about German law terminology, I thought it might be of help to someone interested in this field. Please note that I am currently not a member of the above cited association, neither do I have any commercial interest in promoting these publications.

May I
... See more
Well, sorry for intruding the english-speaking forums despite the fact that it's not my working language. I know I did not answer the question Daina asked, but I spontaneously thought of this book I have on my shelf, and since it's about German law terminology, I thought it might be of help to someone interested in this field. Please note that I am currently not a member of the above cited association, neither do I have any commercial interest in promoting these publications.

May I politely ask how to understand the remark "you might get some more qualified answers"? Does this mean
a) more answers which are qualified or
b) answers which are more qualified?

In any case, I only post an answer to a topic when I think I can make some useful contribution. Just because someone does not know me from this forum, or because of the "smaller" languages I am working in, this doesn't mean that I am not an expert in my fields.

Back to the original subject: I hope there will be some qualified answers to Dainas question on this book. Good luck and have a nice day!

Béatrice
Collapse

RobinB
United States
German to English
Misunderstanding Jul 10, 2008

Béatrice Leclercq wrote:

Well, sorry for intruding the english-speaking forums despite the fact that it's not my working language.

Sorry, but it shows! My answer to Daina was not prompted by your comments, which didn't address the Fisher book at all, but by the simple fact that IMHO there are more qualified people elsewhere (e.g. pt) to answer her particular question. ProZ is not, after all, a popular destination for top-flight De-En legal translators!

Robin

Béatrice Leclercq
Germany
French to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Misunderstanding - I hoped so - Last comment on this Jul 10, 2008

Thank you for clarifying, in fact I hoped it was a misunderstanding. Communication on the net and in a foreign language, well I guess next time I will need an interpreter... Sorry again to Daina for leading this thread into another direction. Maybe there will be someone else able and willing to comment on the Fisher book, may it be here or elsewhere.

Back to real work now, with MY preferred languages.

Again, have a nice day!

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:14
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
This forum and the English language Jul 10, 2008

Béatrice Leclercq wrote:
Communication on the net and in a foreign language, well I guess next time I will need an interpreter...

You don't need any interpreter, Béatrice! In fact I find your postings very well written. I can see why you may have misunderstood Robin's posting; it came right after yours and perhaps it looked as if it was an answer to yours. I'm glad that now it's clear that it wasn't. I'd just like to say that you're always welcome in this forum, as are all other colleagues who don't work with the English language. The main focus of this forum is resources. If you have questions or advice on resources you should not hesitate to post here.

Robin, what is pt?

RobinB
United States
German to English
pt Jul 10, 2008

Maria Karra wrote: Robin, what is pt?

The #1 German-language newsgroup (Yahoo group) for T&I, used to be known as "partnertrans".

Béatrice Leclercq
Germany
French to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Thank you, Maria Jul 12, 2008

Thank you for your kind comment/answer.

Have a nice weekend!

Daina Jauntirans
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 14, 2008

Thank you for the tips!

Margaret Marks
Margaret Marks
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:14
German to English
Not too impressed Jul 14, 2008

Hi Daina,

Fisher looks good at a glance, but like Robin I was disappointed. I don't know any of these books on German law in English that is really good for translation purposes. My favourite is Robbers, which comes in English and German versions, but I don't know if other people would like it. Apart from the, the out-of-print 1982 book by Horn, Kötz and Leser is excellent, and there are two huge tomes by Markesinis.

It depends what you use it for, but for example, lo
... See more
Hi Daina,

Fisher looks good at a glance, but like Robin I was disappointed. I don't know any of these books on German law in English that is really good for translation purposes. My favourite is Robbers, which comes in English and German versions, but I don't know if other people would like it. Apart from the, the out-of-print 1982 book by Horn, Kötz and Leser is excellent, and there are two huge tomes by Markesinis.

It depends what you use it for, but for example, looking at Foster on German Law, if one gets down to the level of terminological equivalents, it is neither as clear nor as specific as I would hope.

This is all off the top of my head and your mileage may vary. Maybe I should post a page or two of these books on my website!

Regards

Margaret
Collapse

Margaret Marks
Margaret Marks
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:14
German to English
Daum Jul 14, 2008

Btw Béatrice's recommendation of Daum I second. But the rest of the BDÜ books - one has to be careful. For instance, there is a book on how to translate a Gesellschaftsvertrag, I think, where the author doesn't know the difference between a company and a partnership. It is a Diplomarbeit, and obviously the translation school she did it at did not take the legal translation aspects seriously. So I would not advise buying blind.

Margaret

Daina Jauntirans
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 14, 2008

Thank you for your assessment, too, Margaret. I will look for the Daum, and I agree with you about buying blind, particularly when I have to order from the US.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Book: The German Legal System and Legal Language

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »