David Twell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:31
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Jul 30, 2008

Hello,

I am about to take the plunge by investing in Dragon Naturally Speaking 9 (Preferred Version), and have read here and elsewhere on the internet that the French, Dutch, German, etc. versions of this software come with English as a matter of course.

I just found a French version of DNS 9 Preferred on Amazon (UK), but there doesn't seem to be any mention of whether it can handle English too. If this possible it would be ideal because my major pair is FR>ENG. Could
... See more
Hello,

I am about to take the plunge by investing in Dragon Naturally Speaking 9 (Preferred Version), and have read here and elsewhere on the internet that the French, Dutch, German, etc. versions of this software come with English as a matter of course.

I just found a French version of DNS 9 Preferred on Amazon (UK), but there doesn't seem to be any mention of whether it can handle English too. If this possible it would be ideal because my major pair is FR>ENG. Could one of you DNS-users please confirm this or otherwise?

Also, it may seem like a strange question, but if this software did indeed handle both French AND English, would the English performance be as good as that of a monolingual English version of DNS 9 Preferred? Finally, would British English be available or would it be US English?

Thanks in advance,

David
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Maybe this will help Jul 30, 2008

Hi David,

I have the monolingual version so don't know the answers offhand, but maybe if you look around on their website, you'll find the answers and/or can contact their support department for more details:

http://www.nuance.com/naturallyspeaking/

Best regards
Debs

David Twell
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Debs Jul 30, 2008

Thank you for your reply, Debs. I'll take a closer look.

Katherine Mérignac
Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:31
Member (2004)
It worked for me Jul 30, 2008

Hi David,

I asked myself the same questions and eventually took the plunge on Amazon a few years ago for my first version on the basis of what I'd heard in forums and so forth, and my French version did come with US and UK English options. But I must say I was a little worried about forking out so much and finding myself with a product of average use!

FWIW, I am 99% sure that the French version always comes with the Eng component...

K

David Twell
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Katherine Jul 30, 2008

Thank you for your input, Katherine. I get that impression too! I'll post something here if I receive a reply from Customer Services.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question about French version of Dragon Naturally Speaking

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »