personal glossary : which program?
Thread poster: Geraldine Oudin

Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
Aug 3, 2008

So far I have been using Excel for my personal glossary, creating a different file for each domain.
It is not a bad system, still I am wondering if anyone knows about something better, specific tools...

Direct link Reply with quote

Per Magnus  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:21
English to Norwegian
I left Excel behind five years ago Aug 3, 2008

Try XBench from ApSIC and you will never use Excel for glossaries again

xxxUSER0059  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:21
English to Finnish
+ ...
MultiTerm Aug 3, 2008

france japon wrote:

So far I have been using Excel for my personal glossary, creating a different file for each domain.
It is not a bad system, still I am wondering if anyone knows about something better, specific tools...

I use SDL MultiTerm, since it interfaces nicely with Trados.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
It's the terminology itself that counts Aug 3, 2008

... and not that much the tool you use to access it. With data in the Excel flat file format (Tab delimited, or CSV actually) you're pretty safe, as regards all the alternatives. The final choice depends on the CAT tool you use. But afaik,all of them can handle CSV files as input.

Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mac vs PC Aug 3, 2008

Per Magnus wrote:

Try XBench from ApSIC and you will never use Excel for glossaries again

Thank you Per.
I had forgotten to say that I work in a PC environment.
It seems like this program is only compatible to Mac, isn't it?

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
glossarie should be convertible Aug 3, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:

Tab delimited, or CSV actually) you're pretty safe, as regards all the alternatives. The final choice depends on the CAT tool you use.

I use TAB delimited TXT-files. You can always replace tabs with any custom character for the target application. Such files are easily converted into tables (in Word). TAB delimited files are accepted by may CAT tools.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some answers and more questions Aug 4, 2008

france japon wrote:
So far I have been using Excel for my personal glossary, creating a different file for each domain. It is not a bad system, still I am wondering if anyone knows about something better, specific tools...

A good glossary tool needs two things. Firstly, it must be easy to add terms. Secondly, it must be easy to look up terms.

Some say that the tool must also be capable of lots and lots of fields and be able to integrate with other tools. Personally, I think three fields is enough: source, target, extra info. But what do other ProZians think? What kind of information should a glossary entry contain? Date of entry, perhaps? What the source of the information is (eg URL, name of person contacted etc)? Usage examples to illustrate different ways of using the term? One can overboard with fields, and IMO too many fields to fill in make a glossary tool difficult to use.

Carlopez
English to French
Lingo 4.0 is a good alternative Aug 4, 2008

The best program I have found is Lingo 4.0 Terminology Management System. I find it really easy to use as I'm translating and it is not full of useless options that I don't understand.

xxxhazmatgerman
English to German
Excel limitations Aug 4, 2008

For glossaries upward of say 12000 entries, Excel may not be able to handle the spreadsheet any more. In that case StarOffice, Access or dbase or any software with a customizable export function (see Smoleij above) will do. Care should be taken to check the delimiters' readability by the target software before hitting Return.
Regards.

Per Magnus  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
PC environment Aug 4, 2008

france japon wrote:
I had forgotten to say that I work in a PC environment.
It seems like this program is only compatible to Mac, isn't it?

No, it is for PC's. I have used XBench for several years on my Dell computers – and are quite addicted to it

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
graphics Aug 5, 2008

To my mind a decent glossary program must allow its user to add images for illustrating terms.

It's quite wordsaving.

one example only

[Edited at 2008-08-05 05:28]

[Edited at 2008-08-05 07:09]

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:21
German to English
+ ...
Wordfast Aug 5, 2008

I use Wordfast and can easily add terms to my glossaries while translating by simply marking them and clicking the right key. Once you link a glossary to a Wordfast TM, the program highlights your terms as they appear in the text. I find this incredibly useful, particularly when clients send very long glossaries that I need to adhere to - I simply convert the glossary, import it into Wordfast, and Wordfast highlights these terms whenever they appear so that I can use the client's preferred term.

[Edited at 2008-08-05 13:33]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

personal glossary : which program?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search