Automating glossary access and insertion
Thread poster: Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:38
French to English
May 24, 2003

For one reason or another a lot of us are just not into CAT tools. Translators and translation situations vary so widely that what is a sensible option for some is just not suitable for others. This is not the place to go into my own reasons – not all of them to my credit by any means - for not espousing the cause of CAT; instead I want to focus on just a couple of the solutions for speeding up the translation process available to those of us who have yet to taste the joys of TRADOS et al. One option (already mentioned in another forum) is Ultimashell, the truly excellent text completion software available from http://www.flashpeak.com/ushell/ushell.htm. So no more about that now.

Another product from the same site, Flashtext, is an excellent tool for speeding up the process of accessing and retrieving words and phrases from a glossary. In the normal way, we have to switch to the glossary (typically another Word document), scroll through the contents till we find the word/phrase we want, select it, copy it, switch back to the document we’re working on, and paste in the clipboard contents. Not incredibly time-consuming perhaps, but NOT GOOD ENOUGH! FlashText speeds up the process considerably. Working in Word (or any other Windows-based application), you just press a hot key to get into FlashText. You start typing in the source word/phrase and the software automatically takes you to the right place. Depending on the size and contents of your glossary, typing in a few letters is usually enough to “isolate” the target. Now all you have to do is press Return and you are automatically taken back to your work document with the translation neatly inserted in position.
In short, FlashText is a marvellous tool for creating, editing and semi-automatically accessing glossaries.
Very clever, you are probably saying, but what about all the glossaries I’ve already got? What am I supposed to do with them? Here again, help is at hand. If your glossaries are (or can be converted into) text format, you can import them into Access and then FlashText. The process works very well.
FlashText version 1.1 is shareware. Free 30-day trial and then just under $ 20 if you decide to keep it. http://www.flashpeak.com/flashtext The Help file is very limited at the moment but the developer is very good at answering queries.
Give it a try!

All the best

Barnaby Capel-Dunn

Direct link Reply with quote

sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:38
English to French
Another suggestion May 25, 2003

Interesting but why not just pick up a wordfast demo?

A mere Wordfast Demo will let you access up to 3 glossaries without even typing anything, insert standard equivalents, query an unlimited number of dictionnaries with a short cut, run concordance and do a lot lot more. You don't have to pay for the demo.

Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:38
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tip May 25, 2003

Obviously, the fact that the demo tool is free is a big plus point in favour of Wordfast. I have to admit I found the experience a little heavy but that is no doubt because I am not familiar with Wordfast.
Over and above the question of individual preference, there is the more general truth that most of us want to be able to understand and use new applications almost immediately. The age of the geek is well and truly over! Did you know, for example, that most people never ever use the "record" facility on a VCR - too much hassle?!

All the best

Barnaby

Interesting but why not just pick up a wordfast demo?

A mere Wordfast Demo will let you access up to 3 glossaries without even typing anything, insert standard equivalents, query an unlimited number of dictionnaries with a short cut, run concordance and do a lot lot more. You don't have to pay for the demo.[/quote]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Automating glossary access and insertion

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search