Does anyone know the spam-blocker MAIL VIPER?
Thread poster: Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 13:55
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
May 26, 2003

It uses 5 different cutting edge techniques to effectively block spam.

Best regards

Mats J C Wiman
Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe
http://www.MatsWiman.com
... See more
It uses 5 different cutting edge techniques to effectively block spam.

Best regards

Mats J C Wiman
Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe
http://www.MatsWiman.com
http://www.Deutsch-Schwedisch.com
http://www.proz.com/translator/1749
(ProZ.com deu>swe & forum moderator)
eMail : [email protected]
Street: Träsk 201
Tel : +46-612-54112
Fax : +46-612-54181
Mobile: +46-70-5769797
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:55
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Spamnet by Cloudmark May 26, 2003

On the same subject of spam fighting, I would like to share what I have just read about an impressive product called \'Spamnet\'.

It is a plug-in for MS Outlook and it works on a peer-to-peer basis. All user of the product blocking an email will send the information to a server which will help to block the same message to all other users.

So far 400.000 users cooperate to keep each other\'s inbox free from spam.

It seems to me a brilliant idea
... See more
On the same subject of spam fighting, I would like to share what I have just read about an impressive product called \'Spamnet\'.

It is a plug-in for MS Outlook and it works on a peer-to-peer basis. All user of the product blocking an email will send the information to a server which will help to block the same message to all other users.

So far 400.000 users cooperate to keep each other\'s inbox free from spam.

It seems to me a brilliant idea, but I have not yet used the product myself.

I will try it very soon, although I have not yet a serious problem with spam.

Recentrly I have seen an increase from 1-2 occasional messages per day to 4-5 in some days, and when the spammers have your email address the traffic raises very quickly as they share and sell lists of valid email addresses.

The demo is available for download and it can be used for 30 days. After the trial period it costs 4.99 USD per month.

For more information, see the site cloudmark.com

Gianfranco

[Edited at 2003-05-26 11:14]
Collapse

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Can other decide what you consider as spam? May 26, 2003

[quote]Gianfranco Manca wrote:
All user of the product blocking an email will send the information to a server which will help to block the same message to all other users.
quote]

It is a good idea, but I am a bit sceptical to this system since others decide what is, and what is not spam...I will opt for Mailwasher or similar. I always use it. The stripped version is even free.

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Spam killers can be abusive May 26, 2003

There is a spam killer www.spamcop.net on my domain host server, and I would get rid of it at once if I only could.
It has killed emails from friends of mine (who have never sent spam to anybody)who ended up phoning - and maybe from customers I will never know.
From time to time it "bounces" Yahoo lists as well.
To me it's much more a nuisance than a help.
Florence

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Change email address May 26, 2003

Oddie wrote:

There is a spam killer www.spamcop.net on my domain host server, and I would get rid of it at once if I only could.

If I were you I would change my email address, at least on my web page, to make sure customers get through. You can of course keep the one you have.

mgonzalez (X)
mgonzalez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some ideas. May 26, 2003

You can try Mailwasher, which allows you to set the rules by which you want your incoming mail filtered.

http://www.mailwasher.net

You can also use \'disposable\' e-mail adresses from http://sneakemail.com/

Best regards. MG.

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:55
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
You decide (but the software helps a lot) May 26, 2003

[quote]

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad wrote:

It is a good idea, but I am a bit sceptical to this system since others decide what is, and what is not spam...I will opt for Mailwasher or similar. I always use it. The stripped version is even free.

In the meantime I installed the trial version and it looks good!

I invited to read more about this utility from the website, as I could not explain in detail.

The software doesn\'t decide, but helps A LOT, using as input the deletions from about 450.000 other users.

In other words, it pulls together the anti-spam delete actions from all users to guide the (almost) automatic decision to discard an email item from your inbox.

If a large number of users considers spam a message, it is with great probability a real spam.

If you resume twice messages from a particular sender, the successive messages from the same source are not binned any more (for you only, of course), overriding the other users\' indications.

But the principle works in the great majority of cases, in the sense that most actions are correct and you don\'t need to spend time to set-up or manage filters, rules or other options.

On the other hand, anti-spam measures out of my control (for example on the ISP server), that often decide to filter out a mailing list or email that I want to receive, are not my favourite solution.

Gianfranco

[Edited at 2003-05-26 17:23]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anyone know the spam-blocker MAIL VIPER?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »