Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Downgrade to Windows XP on VAIO AR71SR
Thread poster: Vadim Poguliaev
Vadim Poguliaev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:25
English to Russian
Aug 23, 2008

I have bought a new notebook a couple of days ago (this one). It rocks and perfectly fit-to-purpose. However, there is bad news about it. Downgrade to Windows XP is officially unsupported, that means operational instability, shorter battery life, low security, low compatibility with CATs and other essential software... You name it.

Vista sucks!

Have anyone encountered same and similair issues? Is there a solution?
Basically all I need is drivers for all the notebook hardware, that work on XP, but at this point I am not sure they even exist.

Thanks in advance!
Vadim

Direct link Reply with quote

Alexandre Chaves
Spain
Local time: 09:25
Downgrade officially unsupported Aug 23, 2008

where did you see that downgrading is unsupported?

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Install Linux Aug 23, 2008

openSUSE or Mandriva Powerpack are cool with notebooks.

As for drivers, visit the vendor's site.

Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Linux Aug 23, 2008

won't work for the same reason as Vista
thanks anyway

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
What exactly do you need? Aug 23, 2008

What functions and devices not work when XP is installed? Most of the components have drivers that can be found on the manufacturers' sites...

Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
support for downgrade Aug 23, 2008

Alexandre Chaves wrote:

where did you see that downgrading is unsupported?

Subj means a CD with Win XP package, including all necessary drivers and utilities.

Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
What I need Aug 23, 2008

A set of XP/Vaio drivers or an experience of solving similair issue. I don't belive, that every Vaio AR user is on Vista...

Anna Sylvia Villegas Carvallo
Mexico
Local time: 02:25
English to Spanish
I also have a brand new laptop... Aug 23, 2008

...with Vista.

I just uninstalled Office 2007, and installed Office 2003, and everything goes ssssmooth. That is, all my softwares, including Trados, etc., etc. (Vista is OK, the problem is Office.)

Try it!

JuliDS  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:25
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
Same thing with me. Aug 23, 2008

Hi Vadim,
I bought my Vaio together with its Vista stuff pre installed and after many attempts to run it with Trados, had to go back to Office 2003. Same as Tazdio did.
Now I heard that if you change for anything but Vista, you lose the guarantee from the shop you bought it, find out first.

Good luck.
Juli

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Drivers for what components? Aug 24, 2008

Vadim Poguliaev wrote:

A set of XP/Vaio drivers or an experience of solving similair issue. I don't belive, that every Vaio AR user is on Vista...

There are no "Vaio drivers" as such. There are drivers for particular components: soundcard, graphic card (even if is integrated), motherboard, network card, etc.

It may be that all of the components have XP version of their drivers, as the components for your Vaio are produced by various manufacturers.

For example, from the list of preinstalled drivers for your Vaio:

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/downloads/preinstalled/preinstalled.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&m=3260

you can see that soundcard is made by Realtek, with the driver version: 6.0.1.5449

On this site:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/135568

you can see that it should operate on XP as well.

Some of the components (e.g. Ethernet card, graphic card) do not have the manufacturer specified in the driver list, so they might require more investigation...

Still, it is possible that not all components are supported in XP (this may be especially true for internal, onboard devices). The only way to find out is by trial and error, I am afraid.

Yury Rovnov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
I haven't (yet?) come across any trouble with Vista on Vaio, but Aug 24, 2008

I bought mine at a sales point at Gorbushka (http://x-point.ru, the last one on the list) and they told me I could bring my laptop to them if I would ever need to downgrade to WinXP and they would take care of it (not for free, of course).

BTW, what are the problems with Vista?

Mexico
English to Spanish
Solutions to your problems Aug 24, 2008

operational instability = use a mouse.
shorter battery life = three (3) hours, or plug it.
low security = buy an anti-virus, or download a free one from your Internet server.
low compatibility with CATs and other essential software = downgrade to MS Office 2003.

See, Vadim, a laptop is a handheld device different from the desk computer, and you have to treat it as such. Vista is not the problem. On the contrary, I think Vista is a great platform, a lot stronger than XP.

Be happy!

Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
heh Aug 24, 2008

operational instability = use a mouse.

I beg your pardon? How mouse will help against Vista hanging in critical moments and destroying your data over and over?

low security = buy an anti-virus, or download a free one from your Internet server.

Vista doesn't let security software operate normally, stripping its functionality, and since Vista's own tools are useless, your system is literally unprotected.

On the contrary, I think Vista is a great platform, a lot stronger than XP.

No comments

Be happy!

Likewise!

[Edited at 2008-08-24 15:43]

Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Vaio drivers Aug 24, 2008

Jabberwock wrote:
There are no "Vaio drivers" as such. There are drivers for particular components: soundcard, graphic card (even if is integrated), motherboard, network card, etc.

I am aware of that. This thread was an attempt to avoid gathering drivers all around the Internet.

Mexico
English to Spanish
Then... Aug 24, 2008

2GB RAM & 160GB HARD DRIVE MEMORY will do. Al least, an extension of RAM memory will. Try it.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Downgrade to Windows XP on VAIO AR71SR

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search