Thread poster: italia

italia  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:55
Italian to German
+ ...
Sep 25, 2008

Dear all!
I am looking for a general bilingual technical dictionary (ENDE).
Any suggestions?
MTIA

Direct link Reply with quote

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:55
German to English
+ ...
"Technical" is very broad Sep 25, 2008

The gold standard, as far as I know, has always been Ernst's Wörterbuch der industriellen Technik, but that may be somewhat outdated by now. I don't specialize in technical texts, but I have also found Langenscheidt's Fachwörterbuch Technik und angewandte Wissenschaften to be useful. Also check into the more specific Langenscheidt dictionaries - I have also successfully used their Chemie und chemische Technik. Otherwise, if I run across technical terms, I look them up on the Web using the Web sites of companies or industry associations in the relevant field doing business in English- and German-speaking countries.

Hope that helps a little.

[Edited at 2008-09-25 11:57]

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:55
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Ernst Sep 25, 2008

Daina Jauntirans wrote:
The gold standard, as far as I know, has always been Ernst's Wörterbuch der industriellen Technik, but that may be somewhat outdated by now.

More like heavily tarnished brass these days. There are a lot of errors in that resource, though picking up a cheap used copy on eBay (look on the German site) is useful to do. Just don't trust it very much.

You would do well to define specific areas of technology you want to work in and find references for those.

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
How about “Wörterbuch der exakten Naturwissenschaften und der Technik”, by Antonín Kučera? Sep 25, 2008

I only have the German to English volume of this two-volume work. Does anyone have experience of it? I don't do a lot of German, but it seems quite good to me. I bought it because it was given a very favourable review in the ITI Bulletin when a second edition of it came out in 2002.

[Edited at 2008-09-25 13:18]

Anil Gidwani  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 12:25
German to English
+ ...
Quite a choice Sep 25, 2008

The German-English language pair is blessed with an ample selection of technical dictionaries. You'd be better off, as suggested earlier, by focussing on ones that match your subject domain. An excellent site for online shopping is Kater-Verlag.

I like Langenscheidt's dictionary of Elektrotechnik and Elektronik. I like Langenscheidt's dictionaries in general for their very powerful right-click pop-up search facility that speeds up translation by an order of magnitude.

[Edited at 2008-09-25 13:29]

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:55
German to English
Kucera and Schmitt/Langenscheidt Sep 25, 2008

I tend not to rely much on Ernst these days, but have found both the Kucera and Langenscheidt dictionaries to be reliable, and if you only need a general reference work, then any of the three should suffice.

Another resource I've found to be useful is Oppermann, "Wörterbuch der modernen Technik" It's a 4-volume work (2 volumes in each language direction), but has to be used with caution. The author is not a professional lexicographer, so there's not much context, but it has an astonishing compilation of engineering-related terminology pertaining to tools, mechanisms, etc.

Portugal
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
For Materials & process engineering Sep 25, 2008

I've grown very fond of Goetzel/Goetzel "Dictionary of Materials and Process Engineering". My copy is 11 years old, picked up on eBay as a 3 euro bargain, but it has proved very good in areas of polymer processing and metallurgy that I know rather well. In other areas what it offers frequently proves to be a good choice based on corroborating materials found.

italia  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:55
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow! Sep 25, 2008

Dar all!Thanks for all the reference. I will look into the Langenscheidt editions and
was also thinking of purchasing the ERNST, but your replies made me doubt about its
usefulness.
As Kevin put it, I am used to doing research and looking for companies' terminology. If possibile I ask the customer for corporate glossaries:)))
In the last years I have compiled a lot of glossaries on my own in that way:)))
Thanks again... I will browse through the Langenscheidt/Kader catalogues:)))
Happy purchases to everyone:)))

Portugal
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
If you need a DE<>EN chemistry reference Sep 27, 2008

Go have a look on the German e-Bay site. There's one from Antonin Kucera for which bidding will end this evening (shortly before 7 p.m. CET) - not worth its retail price, but if you can grab it for under 20 euros, I'll say you did OK. I prefer the VCH volumes myself.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for technical dictionary ENDE

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search