https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/118303-website_translation_in_txt.html

Website translation in txt?
Thread poster: Karina Garcia Pedroche
Karina Garcia Pedroche
Karina Garcia Pedroche  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 17, 2008

Hello all! I have been asked to translate a website and to do this I was provided with the folder apparently containing the files uploaded in the server. I noticed that the only files containing the website texts are in txt format. So I tried translating a txt file with Trados Tag Editor, as it's full of htm code, but when I save the document as a target file, and convert it back to txt, of course, it does not recognize the Spanish accent punctuation marks. Please, see below:

donde
... See more
Hello all! I have been asked to translate a website and to do this I was provided with the folder apparently containing the files uploaded in the server. I noticed that the only files containing the website texts are in txt format. So I tried translating a txt file with Trados Tag Editor, as it's full of htm code, but when I save the document as a target file, and convert it back to txt, of course, it does not recognize the Spanish accent punctuation marks. Please, see below:

donde obtuvo su título = donde obtuvo su título

Is there another way I should be translating these files so that I can keep the same format? I am currently correcting every accent mark in the target text, within the confusing htm code

Thank you!

Karina
Collapse

Adi Al-Ka'bi
Adi Al-Ka'bi
Local time: 15:20
Arabic to English
+ ...
Rename xxx.txt to xxx.htm Oct 17, 2008

Text documents are what htm & html programers edit with. Once finished they simply rename the file as below (rename the txt extension to htm) and it can be viewed on any htm viewer (like for instance Internet Explorer)

Try renaming the txt files to htm files. Example:

Rename file page1.txt to page1.htm.

Now click on the newly renamed file. You should get an Internet explorer format without the htm codes. From there simply highlight all and copy paste back i
... See more
Text documents are what htm & html programers edit with. Once finished they simply rename the file as below (rename the txt extension to htm) and it can be viewed on any htm viewer (like for instance Internet Explorer)

Try renaming the txt files to htm files. Example:

Rename file page1.txt to page1.htm.

Now click on the newly renamed file. You should get an Internet explorer format without the htm codes. From there simply highlight all and copy paste back into a new text file that you can use on Trados (I'm not a Trados user. Hence I'm not sure if this is what you require, but hope this does it).

Alternatively (this will take longer), you could open your txt file with Microsoft Word (or copy-paste it from txt to Word). From the Word file pick out the htm codes that mainly or most repetitively appear in the text. Select all or highlight all and then replace each code with a space using "replace all". This will get rid of each code separately and wherever it occurs in the text and will replace it with a space.

[Edited at 2008-10-18 09:57]
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 05:20
English to Spanish
Try this Oct 18, 2008

If you are saving .txt as ANSI, save it as Unicode, or viceversa.

Or, you have four codifications when saving a .txt. Try'em one by one, until you get the right one.

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:20
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
es por la codificación del archivo de texto Oct 18, 2008

As Carvallo says, save the text files > SAVE AS > (coding) ansi, unicode, utf-8 or unicode big endian. One of these will work.

Regards

Clarisa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Website translation in txt?

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »