Help with web-page translation
Thread poster: AliG
AliG
Spain
Local time: 13:57
Spanish to English
Jun 18, 2003

Hi,

I urgently need to learn how to translate a webpage and I wondered if anyone could kindly provide me with any tips, suggestions about manuals to learn how to do this?

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Alison
P.S. Does anyone live in Spain or, better still, Madrid? I find it hard to contact with fellow Spanish translators to talk about techniques, tips, etc. WOuld love to hear from you!

Direct link Reply with quote

BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:57
English to French
+ ...
Contribute! Jun 18, 2003

Hello, there.

If you are using a PC (not a Mac), try to give a look at the Macromedia website at:

http://www.macromedia.com/software/contribute/

It seems to me this could be the tool you need. i do a lot of web translation, and the other packages (mainly Dreamweaver and Go Live) are powerfull... but very delicate to use. Contribute seems to be a pretty good - and cheap!- answer to your problem.

A tip: never use Word to translate/edit html pages: it adds up Microsoft proprietary code that not all browsers like, and may well mess the all thing up.

If you are still stuck, give me a shout (eveque@net-up.com)

Hope it helps

Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Use CatsCradle! Jun 18, 2003

It's freeware. See http://www.stormdance.freeserve.co.uk/

Igor Zabuta
Ukraine
Local time: 14:57
English to Russian
+ ...
web-page translation Jun 18, 2003

Basically you have to translate everything between tags.

Open the file in Notepad only!

Do not translate any text between ... (excepting ), ..., i.e. everything which is not human, but machine language.

Or better visit htmlgoodies.com and read 1 - 2 chapters of HTML manual. It'll take less than an hour and you'll learn everything you'll ever need.

Good luck!

bergazy  Identity Verified
Croatia
Croatian to Italian
+ ...
I agree with Sven! Jun 18, 2003

Sven Petersson wrote:

It's freeware. See http://www.stormdance.freeserve.co.uk/[/quote]

If your intention is to translate using
some HTML Editor try 1st Page 2000
( freeware ).
Go to:http://www.evrsoft.com/1stpage/

Good luck!

Camaxilo  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:57
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Babelfish is the answer Jun 18, 2003

AliG wrote:

Hi,

I urgently need to learn how to translate a webpage and I wondered if anyone could kindly provide me with any tips, suggestions about manuals to learn how to do this?

Alison
P.S. Does anyone live in Spain or, better still, Madrid? I find it hard to contact with fellow Spanish translators to talk about techniques, tips, etc. WOuld love to hear from you!

Go to this site and you will be able to translate any site, as long you use as browsers, microsoft Internet Explore 5.5 or Netscape:
http://babel.altavista.com/tr

Albert Golub  Identity Verified
English to French
CatsCradle Jun 18, 2003

freeware and goodware!!!!!!!!!!!

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Lots of options Jun 18, 2003

You can use Netscape Composer (part of Communicator) or OpenOffice.org to overwrite web pages in the same way that you would overwrite a Word document. Both of these are free, and there are many others, no doubt just as good. Be warned, though, that some applications make changes to the HTML code. These vary from the harmless, like changing the name of the operating system on which the file was last processed, to the annoying, like changing relative hyperlinks to absolute ones or vice-versa. You may need to configure the application's preferences to avoid the latter problem, for instance.

If you are considering translation memory, you might also like to try OmegaT. It can handle HTML, and is free. Download from http://www.marcprior.de/OmegaT/OmegaT.html.

Marc

AliG wrote:

Hi,

Alison

Ursula Peter-Czichi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:57
German to English
+ ...
Another helpful tool for web translations Jun 19, 2003

Igor Zabuta wrote:

Open the file in Notepad only!...

Sounds right. I downloaded another very helpful tool (freeware). It is a great replacement for Notepad (It has wordwrap and lots of utilities, incl. HTML editing):

The Name is NoteTab Light and here is the website:

http://www.notetab.com/?NoteTab%20Light=4950

Valeria Verona  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:57
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dreamweaver Jun 25, 2003

I use Dreamweaver and find it comfortable... maybe because I've learnt with this software! You can choose between the design mode (looks like the on-line page) or code mode (for greater details or problematic links).
Only recommendable if you happen to have it, of course.
Hope that helps. Good luck.
V.

Hepburn  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
What about Wordfast for Web pages? Jun 25, 2003

I understood Wordfast made it very easy. But I have not tried it yet on this.
Does anybody know?
Thanks,
Claudette

Hepburn  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Babel translations Jun 25, 2003

AliG wrote:

Go to this site and you will be able to translate any site, as long you use as browsers, microsoft Internet Explore 5.5 or Netscape:
http://babel.altavista.com/tr[/quote]

Yes, but what is the translation like, I wonder?

Claudette

sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:57
English to French
Don't wonder Jun 25, 2003

Claudette Hepburn wrote:

AliG wrote:
http://babel.altavista.com/tr

Yes, but what is the translation like, I wonder?

Claudette[/quote] This is machine translation. it's a completely different topic. Output is the traditionnal machine translation output, nonsense.

It should NEVER be used to deliver translation to a customer. Come on, please!

sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:57
English to French
Everything you will ever need.... Jun 25, 2003

Igor Zabuta wrote:

Open the file in Notepad only!

Do not translate any text between ... (excepting ), ..., i.e. everything which is not human, but machine language.

Or better visit htmlgoodies.com and read 1 - 2 chapters of HTML manual. It'll take less than an hour and you'll learn everything you'll ever need.

Good luck!

yeah, right! Sorry, but that's not true. To translate HTML properly, you need to understand what you are doing. And there is quite a bit more to understand then just "translate between the tags", or reading a couple pages of a general HTML manual.

For instance, some tags need to be moved while others must remain the same. Some tags may need to be added, some deleted. Tags integrity must be preserved, the charset may need to be changed, there might be meta tags, there might be java script strings,... and all these things that you will NOT learn in just a couple hours fiddling through a general HTML manual.

And I didn't even mention dynamic web sites, flash presentations,...

Some websites are easy to do and you can just go for it. Others will require tagging and a lot more attention. So long as nothing goes wrong, you can do it with little knowledge, but the minute something DOES go wrong, you need to know what you are doing and how to fix it.

It may sounds harsh, but I would say that before accepting the job, one should look the documents and see if one can deliver the expected product.

Once for instance, I ordered translation for SIMPLE web pages. I got the translation back in Word HTML. Word's html is a total screw up. The original file was 20kb. The Word file was 65kb. 45kb of garbage on a web page! Was the guy really able to deliver "HTML translation"? No way. Guess who had to correct the file.

Learning to translate HTML files is relatively easy, but one should know exactly how it is done before accepting jobs. Not at the last minute.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with web-page translation

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search