Thread poster: Maria Paula Campagnari Bueno
Maria Paula Campagnari Bueno  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:47
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 6, 2008

Hi everybody!
I was wondering if anybody here at Proz.com has any news about intersting applications and mobile CAT tools for PDAs, PPC, PPCsmartphones. If you could provide me links and articles I'd be very grateful. I'm buying a new PPC for reading PDFs especially but it would be great to have the chance to use CAT Tools in my PPC as well.
Thank you!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:47
German to Spanish
No way Nov 6, 2008

You mean a automatic translator? or a real CAT, like Trados and company?

How do you pretend to work, translate, with so a small display?

No way.

At least you will need a little Netbook (like Asus EeeP, about 400-500 $) for it.

And instead a Pocket PC, I would buy a iPod Touch.

You can read books with applications like Stanza.

And PDFs are files for printing, normally the are very bad to read with small devices, for this reason almost all readers (Amazon, Sony, WM, etc.) use another format.

Regards

Fernando

[Edited at 2008-11-06 16:44]

[Edited at 2008-11-06 16:46]

Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:47
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Nothing as far as I know Nov 6, 2008

Unless a mobile device can run a full OS version like Win XP, I think it is unlikely that you will be able to run CAT tools (with the possible exception of OmegaT running on a thin Linux installation).

On the other hand, a mobile device would hardly provide the ideal workplace for the professional translator (i.e. keyboard size).

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Making it clear Nov 6, 2008

Hi all!
I don't think I made myself clear. I am not wondering if it is possible or not to work on a PDA. Of course you'll have a hard time typing a big translation on a small pocketpc keyboard. I was just wondering if anybody knows any news about CAT tools developed for portable devices.
Not for long-time working but for occasional visualization (you can't open Tag Editor without Trados installed I believe) or translating a few words while on the line to the bank or post office. Just occasional usage.
What you said about WinXP for example really makes sense. I didn't think about it. But maybe it'd be interesting to have a portable solution for visualization so you can give a prompt response to a client without having to be in front of your PC or taking your notebook out of your suitcase to visualize a translation and respond while standing in line. I'm very visual personally, I try to get all the details I can before taking a job.
Considering all this, does anybody have any news?
Thank you for those who already responded!

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
News about Mobile CAT Tools Nov 6, 2008

I have an Eee PC. The hardware spec is modest, but 512 MB in conjunction with Xandros Linux and OmegaT is enough for typical work scenarios. I have used it with 27 MB of translation memory in OmegaT projects, for instance. It comes with a PDF reader, and with OpenOffice.org for Word, Excel and PowerPoint files.

For many people, the keyboard is the make-or-break issue. It's either just perfect, or too small to be usable. It is of course infinitely preferable to the keypad of a mobile-phone-type device. Some people do manage to hold it one hand and type with the other; I'm not sure that I could, or that I would want to.

If you are thinking in terms of a PDA, size and weight are probably the biggest issues. Would you be prepared to carry 920 g around with you all day? Your best move would be to borrow one for a couple of days and do just that. You might have difficulty persuading Eee owners to part with theirs, though.

Marc

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
Nothing new Nov 6, 2008

Maria Paula Campagnari Bueno wrote:
But maybe it'd be interesting to have a portable solution for visualization so you can give a prompt response to a client without having to be in front of your PC or taking your notebook out of your suitcase to visualize a translation and respond while standing in line.

Just a Blackberry, or a iPhone. Or any smartphone with Windows Mobile and a Data contract with your mobile phone provider, you can see attachments, etc. You could also access to internet and run applications like Google apps for it. Or access to your own PC at home if you have something like GoToMyPC.

Lot of possibilities

Regards

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great ideas Nov 6, 2008

Hi all!
You're giving me some great ideas, really! =)
I like yours especially, Fernando.
Thank you so much everybody.
Any more suggestions or comments are very welcome!
Best regards!

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
EEE PC Nov 6, 2008

Marc P wrote:

I have an Eee PC. The hardware spec is modest, but 512 MB in conjunction with Xandros Linux and OmegaT is enough for typical work scenarios. I have used it with 27 MB of translation memory in OmegaT projects, for instance. It comes with a PDF reader, and with OpenOffice.org for Word, Excel and PowerPoint files.

For many people, the keyboard is the make-or-break issue.

You might have difficulty persuading Eee owners to part with theirs, though.

Marc

I have EEE PC (and wouldn't part with it!), and have translated, edited (with track changes), dealt with mail and reviewed and edited PPT presentations on it quite comfortably, for about 2 hours at a time (the max battery life). I haven't got a CAT tool installed, but get around that by setting up the translation on my PC. Then on the EEE PC, I can work between the tags. I find the keyboard fine:-) Blokes with large fingers might find it harder to get used to it - but who hadn't problems getting used to SMS when it became possible?

It's the size of a slimmish book, and very manageable and portable.

As for an Internet connection, you can join a site like FONERO.

[Edited at 2008-11-06 22:38]

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More about FONERO Nov 6, 2008

Hi all!
The EEE seems to be quite a hit indeed!
My Brazilian friends also recommended it.
Lia, could you tell us more about FONERO please?
Thank you a lot!

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
FON and FONEROS Nov 6, 2008

Hi all!
The EEE seems to be quite a hit indeed!
My Brazilian friends also recommended it.
Lia, could you tell us more about FONERO please?
Thank you a lot!

I didn't provide a link cos it's all over the web:-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FON

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Only Spain :( Nov 7, 2008

Uh, I guess that's only for Spain. Too bad =(

juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:47
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Who says that? Nov 8, 2008

Uh, I guess that's only for Spain. Too bad =(

Look up the FONERO map:

http://maps.fon.com/

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just a guess Nov 9, 2008

Nobody said that...lol
I just guessed...because of the home page (there's no Brazilian Portuguese support, only European Portuguese)...I'll look Brazil up however...sorry If I misjudged it...

Just bought a Qtek Blue Angel and a HTC Touch for mobility. The Blue Angel is older but I've heard great things about it and HTC Touch has the wonderful TouchFlo. I'll use the later for study and taking notes, instead of using a physical paper notepad. I use paper notepads a lot because I'm more used to take notes on paper and I don't like to type my thoughts and comments and reminders in the Windows notepad during a translation...A little weird nowadays, but it works for me! But I'm trying to lose the habit and use electronic devices...less paper for recycling...wont't have to worry about finding another piece of paper or buy more paper notepads!

I'll write here my impressions about those devices as translation supporters as soon as I start using them! Maybe it'll help! I'll try the crazy experience of translating a few lines while standing in line!

[Editada em 2008-11-09 04:58]

[Editada em 2008-11-09 05:02]

Anna Sylvia Villegas Carvallo
Mexico
Local time: 03:47
English to Spanish
I just posted this on your blog... Nov 9, 2008

(...though I'm not sure if I did it correctly, as instructions are in Portuguese!)

"Yes, I know what you mean. I have no way of buying (by now!) all these resources you mention on your blog, but I have a nice BlackBerry that provides me with a very helpful way of NOT being in front of the PC all day.

With respect to translations, so far it has helped me to being in touch with my clients at the moment they email me, view the files attached, and know when they/PayPal send my payments. (I love this.) However, I still don't dare to use my bank or PayPal through the BB. I'm afraid to lose it, and you never know...

I also love to read my favorite newspapers while waiting anywhere.

I understand that you'll try to work on the mobile device. I'm not so sure I'd like to do it myself, but, anyway, let us know how you manage!

Nice blog, colleage. See you!"
Tadzio Carvallo.

[Edited at 2008-11-09 17:33]

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry English speakers! Nov 9, 2008

Hi!!
Thank you for your comment!
It was really in Portuguese! I'm sorry =(
It's all in English now!
See you soon!!!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

News about Mobile CAT Tools

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search