Web site proofreading - East Asian Font problem
Thread poster: jtranslations
jtranslations
jtranslations
Local time: 22:34
English to Japanese
+ ...
Dec 5, 2008

My client recently asked me to proofread translation of their web site from English to Japanese. I have been doing proofreading work for this client for a while.

As it turned out, the translation was so bad that I ended up redoing most of it.

When I submitted corrections to the client and client had their web site designer (Chinese based) upload it, all Chinese characters used in my translation (Japanese language) were converted to Traditional Chinese characters and
... See more
My client recently asked me to proofread translation of their web site from English to Japanese. I have been doing proofreading work for this client for a while.

As it turned out, the translation was so bad that I ended up redoing most of it.

When I submitted corrections to the client and client had their web site designer (Chinese based) upload it, all Chinese characters used in my translation (Japanese language) were converted to Traditional Chinese characters and punctuations are off as well.
The web site vendor told the client that they cut-and-pasted my Japanese material.

Does anybody have experience in working with East Asian Language for web site localization and encountered a similar font problem? Any suggestion to correct the problem is appreciated.
As I do not do translation in the localization environment, I am totally at a loss.

Thank you.
Collapse

Vimal Panchal
Vimal Panchal  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 11:04
Member (2008)
English to Gujarati
+ ...
Pl. check previous forum post with similar issue Dec 5, 2008

Hi!

I had responded earlier to a similar issue on coming to my notice.

Pl. check the following link and apply settings relevant to your issue / requirement.

http://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/113377-shruti_and_mangal_fonts_office_2003_do_not_work.html

I'm sure
... See more
Hi!

Pl. check the following link and apply settings relevant to your issue / requirement.

http://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/113377-shruti_and_mangal_fonts_office_2003_do_not_work.html

I'm sure it should provide you guidance you seek.

Let me know if your issue still persists.

Thanks & regards,
Vimal
Collapse

Jarosław Zawadzki
Jarosław Zawadzki  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:34
Chinese to Polish
+ ...
encoding Dec 5, 2008

What character encoding has been used for the file? If it was some specific Japanese encoding then on a system with locale set to T.Chinese this thing might happen: it read the Japanese text using Chinese Big-5 encoding. I suggest using UTF-8 encoding instead.

jtranslations
jtranslations
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Dec 5, 2008

Thank you for a detailed step by step instruction. I will have the web design vendor to check their setting.

jtranslations
jtranslations
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 5, 2008

Vimal Panchal wrote:

Hi!

I'm sure it should provide you guidance you seek.

Let me know if your issue still persists.

Thanks & regards,
Vimal

This helps a lot Vimal. Thank you.

jtranslations
jtranslations
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Dec 5, 2008

Jarosław Zawadzki wrote:

What character encoding has been used for the file? If it was some specific Japanese encoding then on a system with locale set to T.Chinese this thing might happen: it read the Japanese text using Chinese Big-5 encoding. I suggest using UTF-8 encoding instead.

Thank you, Jaroslaw. It makes sense and probably that is what happened. With you and Vimal's response, I have better understanding. Really appreciate it.
kimi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Web site proofreading - East Asian Font problem

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »