How to prepare for the court interpreting certification test?
Thread poster: Norminha (X)
Norminha (X)
Norminha (X)
Jan 27, 2002

I am thinking about taking the certified test for court interpreters. Any suggestions from anyone with experience? What is the test like and how can you best prepare for it? Thanks in advance.

Norma Henderson

English>

ihodak
ihodak
Local time: 07:59
Croatian to English
+ ...
Phone/visit the County or Municipality Court office Jan 27, 2002

Phone or visit the County or Municipality Court office that registers the Authorised Court Interpreters in the town where you live, or the capital of the country of your residence. They should know all data on exames and documentation required for the registration, and also the answers to any further questions.

Good luck and regards,

from Croatia

ihodak
ihodak
Local time: 07:59
Croatian to English
+ ...
Preparing for the test for Court Interpreters Jan 27, 2002

It is usually a script with law related vocabulary and several texts that you have to translate in both directions. If you already have some experience in translation, it will take you several days to prepare for the test and the oral exam, if required, depending on your previous experience. There are also some useful (English-english) dictionaries of legal terms that might be helpfull. Best wishes,

[addsig]

Magno
Magno  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
My experience... Jan 27, 2002

I have experience as a court interpreter. Firstable, what kind of certification are you talking about? There are two kinds as far as I know. The certification for the federal courts (Federal certification) or from the(your) State (State certification). The Federal certification...good luck .It is sooo difficult. I\'ve been told that only 3% (or less) of the people pass the first time. I have never tried to take the federal certification. I am thinking of taking it, perhaps in 2 or 3 years, which... See more
I have experience as a court interpreter. Firstable, what kind of certification are you talking about? There are two kinds as far as I know. The certification for the federal courts (Federal certification) or from the(your) State (State certification). The Federal certification...good luck .It is sooo difficult. I\'ve been told that only 3% (or less) of the people pass the first time. I have never tried to take the federal certification. I am thinking of taking it, perhaps in 2 or 3 years, which is how long I\'d take to study. I have years of experience as a court interpreter (since 1990), I have to mention that I haven\'t been active for about 2 years. I don\'t know if you are talking about a state certification. There are some states that provide support to the candidates by hosting workshops. You can go to your State (Administration Clerk) courts and ask them. There are some states that are easier than others. However the passing rate is about the same as the Federal (less than 3%). There have been interpreters with YEARS (10 or 25 years)of experience that haven\'t pass the examination. This is one of the reason I haven\'t taken the test yet. It takes years of preparation to pass the exam. You can send me an email and I can give you reference books, materials, seminars, etc. that would help you to study and get prepare for that exam. All what I can say is: study, practice, get experience as court interpreter, study, practice, study, study, and study.Collapse

Marta Goc
Marta Goc  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:59
Polish to English
+ ...
What state are you in? Jan 27, 2002

In Northern California you can get detailed information from The Judicial Council/Administrative Office of The Courts. The exam is administered by the Cooperative Personnel Services 916-263-3490. They sell test preparation materials too.

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/program/courtinterpreter

Hinara
Hinara  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
CA Court Interpreters Exam Jan 28, 2002

I took the written portion a year ago and passed. I am now preparing for the oral in March/April. For the written you can order a few sample questions from the agency mentioned in the previous post. I recommend extensive reading and writing in English and the target language. An broad vocabulary in both langauges is a must. If you still have more specific questions you can contact me at [email protected]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to prepare for the court interpreting certification test?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »