https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/12308-anybody_tried_openoffice.html

Anybody tried OpenOffice?
Thread poster: Michael Roberts
Michael Roberts
Michael Roberts  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:04
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Jul 2, 2003

Sorry if this has been asked before; I don't see a search function for the fora. Has anyone seriously explored using OpenOffice as a substitute for M$ Word? Are there any particular gotchas I should watch out for, as a translator? (My Word suddenly ceased to work two days ago; I killed the whole day attempting various combinations of reinstallation with no success -- this was simply the straw that broke the camel's back. Besides Windows, which I actually pretty much like, Office was the only... See more
Sorry if this has been asked before; I don't see a search function for the fora. Has anyone seriously explored using OpenOffice as a substitute for M$ Word? Are there any particular gotchas I should watch out for, as a translator? (My Word suddenly ceased to work two days ago; I killed the whole day attempting various combinations of reinstallation with no success -- this was simply the straw that broke the camel's back. Besides Windows, which I actually pretty much like, Office was the only M$ software I still used, and that's it. I quit.)

Anyway, I'm forced to take the plunge (and on a first viewing I rather like OpenOffice) but if anybody else has tried this, I'd like to hear about it.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:04
English to German
+ ...
Look left... Jul 2, 2003

...the "Search" field isn't big, but it works - there are quite a few threads on OpenOffice in the archive.

HTH, Ralf

[Edited at 2003-07-02 21:28]

Michael Roberts
United States
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
D'oh Jul 2, 2003

Indeed... And I've been using this site for two years now. (Never the fora, though...)

bergazy
bergazy  Identity Verified
Croatia
Croatian to Italian
+ ...
Why insist on Open Office? Jul 3, 2003

Open Office is nice piece of software but there is another freeware product I use as valid alternative for Microsoft Office-PC SUITE 2001

http://www.software602.com/products/pcs/

Regards

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Have a look at Marc Prior's Linux page Jul 3, 2003

Hi Michael,

If you have not seen it yet, you might find Marc Prior's page useful:

http://www.marcprior.de/linux/linux.html

Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
French to English
Softmaker Office Jul 3, 2003

You might like to check out this one:

http://www.softmaker.de/index,en.htm

All the best

Barnaby

Michael Roberts
United States
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I prefer open-source Jul 3, 2003

I thought of OpenOffice because I am also an open-source programmer -- and so I had heard a lot about it, and technically, if I really get annoyed about something it does or doesn't do, I can damn well fix it myself. I've hacked sendmail that way, for instance.... Not that it's *likely*, mind you, but at least I know that it's *possible*. Which, emotionally speaking, makes me very satisfied.

I just did my first actual editing with OpenOffice today. I rather like it -- certainly
... See more
I thought of OpenOffice because I am also an open-source programmer -- and so I had heard a lot about it, and technically, if I really get annoyed about something it does or doesn't do, I can damn well fix it myself. I've hacked sendmail that way, for instance.... Not that it's *likely*, mind you, but at least I know that it's *possible*. Which, emotionally speaking, makes me very satisfied.

I just did my first actual editing with OpenOffice today. I rather like it -- certainly it compares favorably with Word, although I didn't push it. Two features it seems to lack which I would like (and, as mentioned, may add!) are time edited, which I use for statistics on my speed of translation for quoting, and the ability to tile edit windows so that I can have the original open in one and my editing text open in the other. I can get around that, but not conveniently.

Hey, Henry, you're a good-looking young pup. I'd never seen a picture of you before!
Collapse

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:04
Italian to English
+ ...
Open office, Star Office, 602 Jul 3, 2003

I have them all installed on my main PC. Admittedly though, I only really use MS office, as most clients submit material in that format. I have been forced to use the others (mostly star office) when MS Office "plays up".

I used to work for IBM, so I have good experience with Smartsuite, and in fact think it is a much more powerful and sophisticated suite than MS Off. It is very cheap in comparison, and in fact you can often find some of the older versions being given away free with
... See more
I have them all installed on my main PC. Admittedly though, I only really use MS office, as most clients submit material in that format. I have been forced to use the others (mostly star office) when MS Office "plays up".

I used to work for IBM, so I have good experience with Smartsuite, and in fact think it is a much more powerful and sophisticated suite than MS Off. It is very cheap in comparison, and in fact you can often find some of the older versions being given away free with IT magazines etc.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anybody tried OpenOffice?

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »