https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/12371-british_english_dictionary.html

British English dictionary
Thread poster: Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:13
German to Italian
+ ...
Jul 4, 2003

Hi everybody,

I need to buy an up-to-date English dictionary. At the moment I use a 6-7 year old Webster's, and I'd prefer to have a dictionary of British English as well, with a CD-ROM too if possible. Could you please give me advice? Thanks a lot

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Oxford Jul 5, 2003

have a look at www.oed.com

IMHO this is the best dictionary you can buy. For that matter, it also lists american spelling variations and meanings, so you get the best of both worlds.

It comes in several sizes. You will have to decide which one suits you (and your wallet) best.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

Grigoriy Smirnov
Grigoriy Smirnov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:13
English to Russian
+ ...
Collins Cobuild English Language Dictionary Jul 5, 2003

I use this dictionary during about 10 years. It's British English Dictionary with clear explanations and useful examples. Also, I know a comparative lexicological study where this dictionary was recognized as the best one.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:13
English to Turkish
+ ...
Oxford Jul 5, 2003

PAS wrote:

have a look at www.oed.com

IMHO this is the best dictionary you can buy. For that matter, it also lists american spelling variations and meanings, so you get the best of both worlds.

It comes in several sizes. You will have to decide which one suits you (and your wallet) best.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

To my opinion Oxford English Dictionaries are the best. I use "The New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary" as a hard copy and "The New Oxford Dictionary of English" dictionary programme by iFinger www.ifinger.com
I heard about the unabridged "Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd Ed. on CD-ROM " and plan to buy it.

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:13
Georgian to English
+ ...
Oxford (OED), Chambers & Collins are the three long established UK lexicographers Jul 6, 2003

with the OED being the most prestigious, but all three very respectable, and providing good dictionaries and products.

Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jul 7, 2003

Thanks a lot for your advice. Bye!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

British English dictionary

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »