"Replace all" terms in the target of a .ttx file ??
Thread poster: Tradcore
Tradcore
Tradcore
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:41
English to Spanish
Dec 28, 2008

Hi coleagues,

I am translating a .ttx file in which most of the terms are continuosly repeated but in a different order within each segment. I would like to get one source term and translate it with the "replace all" function so that I find the term already translated when I get to the corresponding segment. I have tried to do it but the replace function will not work if the segments are not open.
Does anyone know how can I open all segments at the same time "without updating
... See more
Hi coleagues,

I am translating a .ttx file in which most of the terms are continuosly repeated but in a different order within each segment. I would like to get one source term and translate it with the "replace all" function so that I find the term already translated when I get to the corresponding segment. I have tried to do it but the replace function will not work if the segments are not open.
Does anyone know how can I open all segments at the same time "without updating the TM" in order for the replacement to be made? Or is there another procedure available to perform this action? I cannot use Multiterm since I do not have a glossary.
Your help is truly appreciated.

Thanks and best regards,
Sonia
Collapse

Mahmoud Rayyan
Mahmoud Rayyan  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 15:41
English to Arabic
I think the soulution is in the TM Dec 28, 2008

I think you can copy the current TM that you are working on, then from the maintenance option in the file menu you can perform a global search and replace for the term you would like to search for, then after you finish and make sure that everything is OK, you can update the .ttx document using this TM, this way you can ensure that you term is translated globally the way you like, after that you can remove this test TM and continue working using your original TM.
I hope this works for you.
... See more
I think you can copy the current TM that you are working on, then from the maintenance option in the file menu you can perform a global search and replace for the term you would like to search for, then after you finish and make sure that everything is OK, you can update the .ttx document using this TM, this way you can ensure that you term is translated globally the way you like, after that you can remove this test TM and continue working using your original TM.
I hope this works for you.
Best of luck
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
You have to combine TagEditor with MultiTerm or... Dec 28, 2008

I am translating a .ttx file in which most of the terms are continuosly repeated but in a different order within each segment... cannot use Multiterm since I do not have a glossary.

Huh? Then build yourself one - use the Add Term in the TWB window to do it. The negative side of this solution is that you have to keep inserting the placeables, and eventually this drives any normal human being crazy.

If the whole situation is as deterministic as you make it sound, then doing a global search and replace in an Editor would do the trick just as well. Once you have the target finished (i.e. all the source terms replaced by the target items), you combine the file with the source into a bilingual RTF (see PlusToyz URL on my profile), which you then use to feed the Translation memory.

Actually if you use PlusToyz to handle the information, then it is the simplest to start with a two-column word file, containing source in both columns. You "translate" the right column and then proceed with PlusToyz to create a bilingual feed for TM.

kimjasper
kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Switch off protection in TagEditor Dec 28, 2008

If you just want to do this in TagEditor without utilizing Multiterm you can switch off protection in TagEditor:
Tools>Options>Protection,
then deselect 'Protect document'

Then you can make global changes of texts in all the target segments if you want.

Remember to update the TM with the changed results (if you want to use the TM in the future). The easiest way of doing that is to run automatic translation in Workbench, selecting 'update TM'.

Yo
... See more
If you just want to do this in TagEditor without utilizing Multiterm you can switch off protection in TagEditor:
Tools>Options>Protection,
then deselect 'Protect document'

Then you can make global changes of texts in all the target segments if you want.

Remember to update the TM with the changed results (if you want to use the TM in the future). The easiest way of doing that is to run automatic translation in Workbench, selecting 'update TM'.

You should switch document selection on again afterwards in order not to make any undesired changes in the future.

Hope this helps,

Kim
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Why? Dec 28, 2008

If you replace the source terms by there translations then you end up with a translation memory where both sides are the same language. This won't help you in the future. The tm will be useless. But you still have the words in the wrong order.
Regards
Heinrich

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I guess this applies my suggestions Dec 28, 2008

Hi Heinrich: I guess your comment addresses my suggestions.

If you replace the source terms by there translations then you end up with a translation memory where both sides are the same language.

What I meant of course (see my 2-column Word alternative) is meld/align/combine the processed text with the original.

Of course, words in wrong tenses and/or order, remain a problem, whatever the suggestion. maybe ... the idea of a unit below the segment, that can be propagated through all the segments would make sense... Why not make spaces, tabs (i.e. white space) segment separators too (!!?) - it's drastic but if there's not declension etc, one may even get away with a murder...

[Edited at 2008-12-28 19:26 GMT]

Lefand
Lefand  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Switch off protection in TagEditor Dec 28, 2008

I have tried switching off protection in TagEditor. It really works!
(thank you, kimjasper!).
It is very useful option, when it is necessary to replace any term (continuosly repeated) in the ready translation.

But as I understood from this forum, this can be done by means of Multiterm as well?
Is it so?

kimjasper
kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Multiterm Dec 28, 2008

Yes, it can be done via Multiterm as well.

You can create a termbase in Multiterm and run the translate function from Workbench, indicating that you want to replace terms.
The termbase has to be defined in Workbench first (Options/Term recognition options).

This takes longer to set up but is often worthwhile in the long run.

Kim

Tradcore
Tradcore
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Do the macros work on Vista? Dec 28, 2008

Hi Vito,

Many thanks to you and all other colleagues for your suggestions.
I have tried to execute those macros in word but they seem not to work on Vista (even if I "trust" all macros). If the problem is not the OS, could you please explain to me with more detail how should the process be done, I mean, how do I get to that double window in word and what do I have to do then to combine the new target file with the source and TM?.
I apologize for being so ignorant...
... See more
Hi Vito,

Many thanks to you and all other colleagues for your suggestions.
I have tried to execute those macros in word but they seem not to work on Vista (even if I "trust" all macros). If the problem is not the OS, could you please explain to me with more detail how should the process be done, I mean, how do I get to that double window in word and what do I have to do then to combine the new target file with the source and TM?.
I apologize for being so ignorant...

Lots of thanks,
Sonia

[Editado a las 2008-12-28 21:01 GMT]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
"I have tried to execute those macros in word" Dec 29, 2008

...I have tried to execute those macros in word but they seem not to work on Vista (even if I "trust" all macros).

I guess it's PlusToyz.doc macros you are talking about.

Hmmm... I am using them on Vista, so there must be something else behind it.

Well, why don't you send me the ttx file (and whatever source file you have to go with it) and I get you what I have been suggesting.

regards

Vito

István Hirsch
István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Multiterm is still easier to use Dec 29, 2008

The principle of this method: by the aid of some changes we transform frequently occuring source terms into standolane segments that Trados recognizes as 100% matches, then restore the original structure of the source and target text.
Before using Trados, some changes should be performed on the source text by using replace all function (for example, in Word):
Full stop > asterisk (to mark original full stop positions);
Source term > full stop space source term full stop (to mak
... See more
The principle of this method: by the aid of some changes we transform frequently occuring source terms into standolane segments that Trados recognizes as 100% matches, then restore the original structure of the source and target text.
Before using Trados, some changes should be performed on the source text by using replace all function (for example, in Word):
Full stop > asterisk (to mark original full stop positions);
Source term > full stop space source term full stop (to make source terms recognizable by Trados (Tageditor) as matches (full stop is the chosen segment separator). After replacing, each source term should begin with either capital letter or small letter.
Full stop full stop > full stop (to get rid of excessive full stops)
Full stop asterisk > asterisk full stop (to make sure that the segment ends in full stop).

Translation with Tageditor. If the transformed source terms begin with small letters, in Workbench > File > Setup > Segmentation rules „Followed by lowercase” box should be checked.

Restoration: full stop > (’change to’ box should be left blank) (to get rid of new full stops)
Asterisk > full stop (to restore original full stops).
Updating TM.

As you can see this ’method’ is at least as challenging as creating a Multiterm glossary, so I think learning to create the latter is unavoidable.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Replace all" terms in the target of a .ttx file ??

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »