Copying from google books to a Word document
Thread poster: xxxsozana
xxxsozana
Local time: 05:12
English to Arabic
+ ...
Dec 28, 2008

Hi,
While searching for an important reference to my study, I found it through google books search but as you know, it appears in HTML document, so, is there anyone who can tell me how to get advantage of this source.
I mean is there anyway to copy from this source to a word document?
Many thanks

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-12-29 00:00 GMT]

Direct link

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:12
French to English
+ ...
[I always thought...] You're not meant to be able to Dec 29, 2008

I think the whole point is that you are not meant to be able to do so!

I guess you could try doing a screen capture and running it through OCR, but not sure if it's really worth the effort — might be quicker just to re-key the quote you need!

If it were just HTML, you should be able to extract the text from the page's source code — but I suspect it's deliberately not as simple as that!

PS: I thought these pages were actually image files, but I've just done a quick test, and that's not in fact the case: so you can perfectly easily select the text you wish to copy, and just paste it straight into a Word document (probably best to do so as 'paste special', without any formatting).

[PPS: I don't know whether all pages are the same as this!]

[Edited at 2008-12-29 00:22 GMT]

Direct link

RichardDeegan
Local time: 20:12
Spanish to English
"Save as" text Dec 29, 2008

Anything you can get in html can be saved as text (.txt).
Once you have it saved as text, just "select all", then "copy", and paste it into a new MS Word or other document.

Direct link

Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 04:12
English to Greek
+ ...
I doubt that it is possible Dec 29, 2008

I don't think it is possible, either, to copy Google books into Word. But, I have one suggestion:

Why don't you try another source? You might be able to find what you are looking for amid the books included in the Project Gutenberg (search those words on Google). It is a very large base of digitized books. In case you find what you want, it should be very easy to copy it into Word.

Good luck!

Direct link

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Print Screen Dec 29, 2008

sozana wrote:
I mean is there anyway to copy [from a Google Books] source to a word document?

Perhaps, but the whole point of Google Books is to disallow you from copying the document while allowing you to read the text. I guess the best way to save it is using a screen capture program and then OCRing the page.

Direct link

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
May be different for different pages Dec 29, 2008

Tony M wrote:
PPS: I don't know whether all pages are the same as this!

Well, I also tried it briefly, and were unable to copy text, but I suspect it may also depend on your browser (I'm currently using a public terminal so I don't have a choice of browser, and is therefore stuck with IE).

Direct link

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Yes, it does depend on the particular page Dec 29, 2008

I had confirmation of this just this morning: some pages are literally scanned images, in which case of course it isn't possible to extract the text except via OCR; but as far as I can see, it is possible to find some way or another of copying the source off the web page and pasting it (at least as an image) into a Word doc.

(I am using Firefox, by the way)

Direct link

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
text vs image Dec 29, 2008

Even on the "scanned image" pages, search actually works, doesn't it? That means that Google already did an ocr on all pages and in some weird way the pages on there are images and raw OCR'd text at the same time.
It may or may not be possible to extract the text, I don't know. Extracting the text with some trick is probably against terms and conditions, but as long as you are nicking just a few pages for your research, I don't see the harm.

Direct link

zamen-user
Local time: 04:12
Hebrew to English
i dont get the question.. Jan 2, 2009

is it a book you bought?
cuz that should be ez to copy..

Direct link

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Even if it were possible... Jan 2, 2009

...are you sure it will be legal to copy/paste text from copyrighted materials?

Direct link

sagearbor
United States
view HTML Jun 10, 2014

You can view the html from any browser. In Chrome the shortcut is Ctrl-U
I tried this and I could see some of the text, its a bit garbled with html but much easier than retyping.

Direct link

Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:12
Serbian to English
+ ...
retype the text from the screen Jun 10, 2014

If you need to quote a sentence or two, just retype it yourself.

"Google Book Search is a very useful tool for finding books according to keyword search. The Google database contains a massive library of scanned books. You can also use Google Book Search to find and download books in the public domain.

Only books in the public domain can be downloaded. Books with intact copyright are available only for preview. The amount of book that can be previewed varies from citation only to the entire book, depending on the agreement Google has with the publisher. ...."

http://google.about.com/od/experimentalgoogletools/ht/how2dwnloadbook.htm

Also: all books have been converted to text, that's why you can search them; but what is displayed on the web as "preview" is not the text, but only images, and event these images are too much hassle to copy (wading through the source code is a waste of time). Simply retype the text you need.

Direct link

Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:12
Serbian to English
+ ...
I dont get if you are joking or not? Jun 22, 2014

zamen-user wrote:
i dont get the question..
is it a book you bought?
cuz that should be ez to copy..

Do you use that kind of spelling in your ISO 9001, SAE J2450 certified translations?

You seriously haven't noticed yet Google Books?

Direct link

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copying from google books to a Word document

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search