International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Resource: to help me study for a medical interpreter exam
Thread poster: Carolingua

Carolingua  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 7, 2003

I need to find glossaries or other resources to help me study medical terminology (Spanish to English; French to English) and medical interpretation techniques. I would prefer to use resources I can access/buy online. Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions from anyone!

Direct link Reply with quote

Jonathan Sanders  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:22
Here's something that could help you out Jul 8, 2003

For Spanish, more than anything, I would recomend

1. The Interpreter's Rx, by Holly Mikkelson. Holly Mikkelson is a reknown interpreter (who specializes in court and medical interpreting), and this book contains excercises for all of the modes of interpretation, as well as vocabulary, diagrams, and more. This you can by at www.acebo.com, Holly's company (get it? : )

2. I would also suggest that you get on the Internet to look for a Bridging the Gap training in your area.

Bridging the Gap is a 40-hour training in medical interpreting, that comes complete with glossaries, diagrams, role-play situations, etc. It comes in Spanish, and to my knowledge it doesn't come in French.

3. As for French materials, I would get in contact with Isabelle Hemlin, who is the director of the Banque interrégionale d'interprètes in Montréal. She might be able to tell you where you can by the materials that their interpreters use. Her e-mail is the following Isabelle_Hemlin@ssss.gouv.qc.ca

Hope that helps.

Jonathan

2. Bridging the Gap, which you can by

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 8, 2003

Thank you so much Jonathan for your valuable information! I really appreciate your taking the time to share this with me.

Carolina.

xxxElena Sgarbo  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Couple of suggestions Jul 9, 2003

Hi Carolina

The American Translators Association publishes The ATA Chronicles. One issue a few years ago had articles on medical interpretation. You can view it here:

http://www.atanet.org/chronicle_files/chronicle_february_2000.pdf

When are you planning to take your exam?

If it'll be after August 2003, you'll also have the opportunity to browse the August issue of the ATA chronicles (in hardcopy, if you are subscribed or subscribe now), which will be entirely dedicated to medical translation & interpretation.

Perhaps the most important asset to master the ropes in medical interpretation, however, is to acquire "hands on" experience. If at all possible, you may want to attend your local community hospitals / medical centers where interpretation is offered, and ask permission to shadow the interpreter...

Good luck!
Elena

[Edited at 2003-07-09 14:10]

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 17, 2003

Elena,
Thank you for your helpful suggestions!
Carolina.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Resource: to help me study for a medical interpreter exam

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search