Google translations - scientific article I am working is already online ("translated by google")
Thread poster: Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:31
French to English
Jan 26, 2009

While translating a very recent scientific article this morning I was surprised to find that a translation of the same article had already been posted on the web.
Underneath it said "translated by google".
The translation was not really that bad and there were only a few mistakes! Surely this can't be a machine translation. Also how much does a google translation cost?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-01-26 15:31 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:31
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
The text was most likely edited by a real brain Jan 26, 2009

A Google translation costs - nothing.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:31
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I doubt that Jan 26, 2009

Nicole Schnell wrote:

The text was most likely edited by a real brain

Google translation, as explained, is sort of statistically based. If it produces a bearable translation, this means, Google can access a sufficient number of relevant (and good) parallel pages in the source and target language. As for translation from English to Russian, I haven’t so far seen any example that could be dubbed “not really that bad”, they all are horrible, which, probably, means that Russian equivalents to English pages are scarce.

Saeid Hasani
Saeid Hasani  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:31
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
Machine Translation Jan 26, 2009

google translation is only a machine translation; consequently, it should not be the machine translation product the way you rated the translation

Taija Hyvönen
Taija Hyvönen
Finland
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
This might explain... Jan 27, 2009

Google translation, as explained, is sort of statistically based. If it produces a bearable translation, this means, Google can access a sufficient number of relevant (and good) parallel pages in the source and target language.

... why sometimes when you google something in Finnish, the first Google page may show pages that are a garbled mess consisting of Finnish and English words mixed in a way that seems random, but is actually a machine translation. Out of curiosity I sometimes press the "translate this page" button in Google and get a similar result - it does have Finnish words in it, but rarely makes any kind of sense.

I find it somewhat disturbing that Google may give this nonsense as first five results when you are looking for information

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
It is not machine translation actually, Jan 27, 2009

it is kind of an attempt to make translation memories by guessing, what could be a match. However, it is not real TM either. Something between MT and TM.

Ones upon a time, I’ve tried Google translation just for fun: was looking some computer tips, found a page and Google suggested translation. That translation did not make much sense, but was not total nonsense either. OK, I’ve manually corrected some pieces (the page was not very long and I was not busy) and submitted my transl
... See more
it is kind of an attempt to make translation memories by guessing, what could be a match. However, it is not real TM either. Something between MT and TM.

Ones upon a time, I’ve tried Google translation just for fun: was looking some computer tips, found a page and Google suggested translation. That translation did not make much sense, but was not total nonsense either. OK, I’ve manually corrected some pieces (the page was not very long and I was not busy) and submitted my translations to Google (this option is available with some pop-ups on translated pages). However, when I tried to access this page a day and a week later, I did not see any improvement. It looks like Google shuns intervention of real human brains

For reference, the source page was in English, my target language was Russian.

[Edited at 2009-01-27 09:01 GMT]
Collapse

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
BTW, I’ve translated this thread with Google to Russian Jan 27, 2009

Well, if you are used to deciphering very bad Russian of beginners, you can understand Google translation as well

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Removed as requested by poster
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google translations - scientific article I am working is already online ("translated by google")

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »