Feedback needed on "How to Earn 80,000 per Year as a Freelance Translator" by Alex Eames
Thread poster: Roy Williams

Roy Williams  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 14:37
Member (2011)
German to English
May 19, 2009

Has anyone read "How to Earn 80,000 per Year as a Freelance Translator", by Alex Eames? Im not aiming to achieve such an abitious sum, I just would like to know if the books contains enough useful information to make it worth buying/reading and if it is actually still valid in today's economy.

Thanks

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-05-19 17:51 GMT]

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Previous threads May 19, 2009

You can find feedback on the book in several previous threads, for example (1) or (2) or (3) or (4) or (5) or (6).

Kind regards,
Attila

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Yes, the book is still valid May 19, 2009

I read it once upon a time. It is full of commonsense advice, interspersed with humour, which makes it easy and entertaining to read. The illustrations are good too, as far as I remember. The author mentions that a large number of people appear not to adhere to the rules of common sense when dealing with agencies, or also end clients, and cites examples such as contacting them to ask for work at the wrong time, e.g. on a Monday morning or Friday afternoon, when they are busy dealing with customers. The book is full of similar examples.

It is a good read, if nothing else. However, I think it is also very good orientation towards creating business sense in those who have no experience of business.

As for the earnings, a figure of 80,000 of whatever currency is no longer particularly astonishing these days, but simply a half-decent annual income for a professional person, once established.

I would recommend that you buy the book. Common sense does not go out of date. It is very comprehensive, besides, and covers just about everything.

Astrid

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I second that May 19, 2009

I agree with all of Astrid's comments.

This book is full of good common sense. I personally only picked up a couple of things that I hadn't thought of. The main benefit for me was the affirmation that what I was doing was right.

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:37
Member (2004)
German to English
It got me started 9 years ago May 20, 2009

It took me a few years to get there but it is possible. Go for it!
Gillian

Roy Williams  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2011)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks May 20, 2009

Attila Piróth wrote:

You can find feedback on the book in several previous threads, for example (1) or (2) or (3) or (4) or (5) or (6).

Kind regards,
Attila

Thanks for the links Attila, I actually checked some of those threads but they where so old I that I wasn't sure if they could still be valid.

Thanks to everyone else for your input. I was put off by the title; it sounded to me like one of those "how to get rich in 30 days by writing how-to books" publications, so I was skeptical.

Aniello Scognamiglio  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOC - Table of Contents May 20, 2009

Hello WilRoy,

I read the book in 2003 (PDF file, 132 pages). It is still very useful and entertaining to read. Hopefully, posting the headlines of the TOC in this forum is not against any rules:

Foreword
Introduction
1. Customers
2. Commercial wisdom
3. Understanding customer needs
4. Marketing your services
5. Enhancing productivity and versatility
6. Ho to use the Tranmail basic list
7. Life-cycle of a typical translation job
8. Get work and support on the Web
9. Recommended further reading
10. A final word
Index

If you are interested in the *detailed* TOC, just drop me a line to info @ italengger.com.

Best,
Aniello

Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
French to English
Another fan May 20, 2009

I also found this book extremely useful when starting out - packed with useful advice.

K

Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Convinced to try it! May 20, 2009

Hi all,

It was very interesting to read about this book. Although the title and the style put me off a bit, I read all of your comments (the older threads as well). Consequently, as there are so many different opinions stated, I just decided to read it and make up my own mind. I have read similiar books before as well, however, they did not convince me totally.

Thanks for this posting and the interesting comments - I will give you my personal view after I have read it - I suppose by tomorrow evening - to whom it may be interesting.

I would be very glad to discuss this further with others who haven't read it now, but will over the next few hours, days, weeks, months...............

Have a nice bank holiday and enjoy the long weekend if you can!

Annett

conejo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:37
Member (2003)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Yeah I have that book May 20, 2009

Yes, I think it's worth getting.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Feedback needed on "How to Earn 80,000 per Year as a Freelance Translator" by Alex Eames

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search