https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/13691-wordfish_and_glossy_anyone_has_tried_them.html

Wordfish and Glossy: anyone has tried them?
Thread poster: leotodaro
leotodaro
leotodaro
Local time: 15:25
Danish to Italian
+ ...
Aug 29, 2003

Hi there

In my search for a TM on a budget I found these two apps: Wordfisher ( http://www.wordfisher.com/ )
and Glossy ( http://www.foreignword.biz/software/Glossy/ )

Have you tried any of them? What do you think about them? I am considering to buy one of them or Wordfast, or
... See more
Hi there

In my search for a TM on a budget I found these two apps: Wordfisher ( http://www.wordfisher.com/ )
and Glossy ( http://www.foreignword.biz/software/Glossy/ )

Have you tried any of them? What do you think about them? I am considering to buy one of them or Wordfast, or Meta Texis.

One more thing, speaking about Wordfast. I understand that this prog was freeware once and has now become commercial. Still on www.wordfast.org you can get apply for a free license. I'm not quite sure I got this right, but my guess is that logos is distributing this version 3.35 for free, being wordfast at his 4.-something version. Any thoughts?

Regards, Leo Todaro
Collapse

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Wordfast Aug 29, 2003

has gone commercial, but it is still for some reason (I don't know) available at Logos (Old version). I have used the old and free version for one year, and after upgrading to the commercial I finally got what I was looking for in a TM programme! I especially like the glossary function.

(I also own Trados 6, but I never use it within word since Wordfast is 10 times better to work with)

PS I have tried GLOSSY. It is a nice little programme, but some times the management
... See more
has gone commercial, but it is still for some reason (I don't know) available at Logos (Old version). I have used the old and free version for one year, and after upgrading to the commercial I finally got what I was looking for in a TM programme! I especially like the glossary function.

(I also own Trados 6, but I never use it within word since Wordfast is 10 times better to work with)

PS I have tried GLOSSY. It is a nice little programme, but some times the management of the glossaries may be difficult. Wordfast covers this in a better way. And Glossy is not a TM programme, only an advanced glossary managment programme with a "translate" function for automatically insertion of terms (A bit like Machine Translation Programmes).
Collapse

Valentina Pecchiar
Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
www.wordfast.net Aug 29, 2003

...is the official wordfast website, run by its developer. That is also the site where the most updated version is available for download and where you buy the licence.

Your view about the two different versions is correct. Notice also that any support by Yves Champollion and the users group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wordfast) is for the updated version only.

I remem
... See more
...is the official wordfast website, run by its developer. That is also the site where the most updated version is available for download and where you buy the licence.

Your view about the two different versions is correct. Notice also that any support by Yves Champollion and the users group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wordfast) is for the updated version only.

I remember trying out Wordfisher a couple of years ago and at the time wordfast was already more advanced (features and stability). In the meantime WF has improved so much I would't recognize it (if I had not kept using it on a daily basis).

FWIW, I'd say go for wordfast: for what you get, its price is more than "budget"!

leotodaro wrote:

One more thing, speaking about Wordfast. I understand that this prog was freeware once and has now become commercial. Still on www.wordfast.org you can get apply for a free license. I'm not quite sure I got this right, but my guess is that logos is distributing this version 3.35 for free, being wordfast at his 4.-something version. Any thoughts?

Regards, Leo Todaro
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Low-cost TM apps Aug 29, 2003

Wordfast - great application, worth several times the price, superb user forum

OmegaT - free, fairly basic but improving all the time (new version to be released shortly)

Araya Suite - several versions starting at around $100; judging from the specification, very good value, but might be difficult to install, and as yet, hardly anyone is using it

Frankenstein - as for Araya

Wordfisher - around $30, fantastic value

Waikoloa - free,
... See more
Wordfast - great application, worth several times the price, superb user forum

OmegaT - free, fairly basic but improving all the time (new version to be released shortly)

Araya Suite - several versions starting at around $100; judging from the specification, very good value, but might be difficult to install, and as yet, hardly anyone is using it

Frankenstein - as for Araya

Wordfisher - around $30, fantastic value

Waikoloa - free, very basic, not being developed

If you really want to save money, try the demo versions before buying. But is it really worth it? In the time it takes you to try them all, you could have earned enough to pay for several Wordfast or Metatexis licences.

Marc
Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
About Wordfisher Aug 29, 2003

WordFisher is not exactly a CAT tool like the others; it doesn't look for matches (although it will do a multi-file search through your glossaries when you tell it to look for a specific term). But it is a very useful utility for segmenting your translation and working through it segment by segment, holding the source and translation open so you can see them both at the same time, and moving through the two files in parallel. It is also a v... See more
WordFisher is not exactly a CAT tool like the others; it doesn't look for matches (although it will do a multi-file search through your glossaries when you tell it to look for a specific term). But it is a very useful utility for segmenting your translation and working through it segment by segment, holding the source and translation open so you can see them both at the same time, and moving through the two files in parallel. It is also a very nice program for producing or creating aligned texts easily. This isn't all it can do; some "power users" do quite complex and useful things, but you don't have to be a power user to agree that it's worth the $USD 30 it costs.

Although I have Deja Vu and use it for most of my translations, I am glad to also have WordFisher and I find it the best program for certain specific kinds of texts. Particularly if your translations do not have much repetition, so you would not benefit much from a tool that searches for sentences that you have already translated before, you may find WordFisher a very useful program for its other capabilities.

The free trial period is at least 30 days, so you can try it to see if you would like it.

If you check the WordFisher mailing list at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wfisher/messages you will find very little activity compared to the mailing lists for other CAT programs. This is because Wfisher users hardly ever have any problem with the program, so there is seldom anything to post about!

Here are some comments about Wordfisher from the mailing list archives that will tell you more details about this useful program which deserves to be better known (click on the numbers below to view):
(1)
(2)

[Edited at 2003-08-29 19:30]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfish and Glossy: anyone has tried them?

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »