Thread poster: Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 13:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 1, 2003

From time to time, I have to translate software text strings that contain variable codes. While I have empirically learned how to insert most codes into the translation, i.e.: &Address, Invalid escape character '%1'., etc., every once in a while, there are codes that I have to guess where they should be placed.

Is there a good guide that will list these codes and provide instructions as to placement, translation, etc.?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
... See more
From time to time, I have to translate software text strings that contain variable codes. While I have empirically learned how to insert most codes into the translation, i.e.: &Address, Invalid escape character '%1'., etc., every once in a while, there are codes that I have to guess where they should be placed.

Is there a good guide that will list these codes and provide instructions as to placement, translation, etc.?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Ricardo
Collapse

Alexandru Pojoga
Alexandru Pojoga
Romania
Local time: 18:56
Japanese to English
+ ...
It depends on the programming language Sep 1, 2003

Various languages have various 'delimiters' that will let you know which strings are software and which can be translated.

HTML has < and > so you know anything in between should not be translated.

In many languages there is the single and double quotation mark that separates text strings, so you know those *should* be translated since they end up displayed on the screen.

Best thing to do is, ask your client and they will have one of their programmers outli
... See more
Various languages have various 'delimiters' that will let you know which strings are software and which can be translated.

HTML has < and > so you know anything in between should not be translated.

In many languages there is the single and double quotation mark that separates text strings, so you know those *should* be translated since they end up displayed on the screen.

Best thing to do is, ask your client and they will have one of their programmers outline a 'guideline' for you - it should take 10 minutes for them.
Collapse

Traduim
Traduim
English to Catalan
+ ...
Read the software documentation Sep 2, 2003

Most editable programs provide documentation on how you can edit them. Read this documentation carefully and you'll learn what can be done and, more important, what should never be done.

Boris Popov
Boris Popov
Local time: 19:56
English to Russian
+ ...
Some other untranslatables related to software localization Sep 3, 2003

Ricardo Martinez de la Torre wrote:

---skipped---

Here's an excerpt from a proprietary localization guide (couple of years ago, my client gave it to me along with .rc files for localization). AFAIK the language is Visual C. Hope this helps a little

Within the texts to be translated, the following special cases are to be considered:

%s
characterizes a variable. Variables are replaced by any entries during the course of the program. These must not be changed. Both in front of and behind the variable, a space character must be inserted.

\r\n
characterizes a line feed. There must be no space character behind the "\n" entry.

\t
is the symbol for a tab stop. The tab stop position is defaulted. For this reason translated texts in front of the tab should have approximately the same text length as the text length of the source text.

(")
are forbidden within a text segment! As an alternative, the ' ' ' character may be used.

( ... } or [ ... ]
texts in between curly { ... } or square brackets [ ... ] must not be changed! Normally they contain control commands.

Best regards,
Boris Popov

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Guide for variables in software strings

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »