Firefox search engine plus Gmail document conversion capabilities
Thread poster: xxxel mismo

xxxel mismo

Jul 31, 2009

Gmail and Firefox are a really helpful couple... Have you found yourselves trying to look for a term in a really big and cluttered spreadsheet? It's just annoying... Well, I found a little trick you can play on Excel to get rid of its hassle:

First, you will need a Gmail account. That's easy. Second, you will have to resort to Firefox. It doesn't need to be the latest release. You don't have to love it. But you will have to recognize it includes a very helpful text search engine.

If you already rely on both for your email and Internet browsing, now you can go one step further. Simply attach that big, fat spreadsheet into an email message, put your own address in the recipient field (the TO field), hit the Send button, wait a couple of seconds, and check your Inbox.

Now, when you look into that email message, you will find that your spreadsheet has been magically converted into an HTML page and a Google document. That means you can open it in a Firefox tab/window (or any other web browser's having a powerful text search engine) and easily navigate, search for and highlight results for your happiness and content.

I hope you find this tip useful. Last time I used it, I was able to notice a sheet in my spreadsheet I hadn't seen before when using good ol' Excel. And it was a VERY important sheet.

Cheers,

--
Héctor

[Edited at 2009-08-06 20:26 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Firefox search engine plus Gmail document conversion capabilities

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search