translating an ART catalogue
Thread poster: millina

millina
Local time: 14:44
Aug 13, 2009

Hi everyone,

i really need your help. I'm an art student and i'd like to write my final dissertation about "Art Catalogue and the Art of Translating".

My problem is that i can't find any bibliography!

Does someone knows any book or website on this topic?

thanks to anyone who can help me out!

Direct link Reply with quote

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Er... Aug 14, 2009

First of all, welcome to the community, millina.

Maybe I take it for granted because I used to be an art student myself and now do art catalogues and exhibits, but isn't the work rather straightforward? I get by on field- or period-specific glossaries and the Chicago Manual of Style.

And I only mention the Chicago Manual by way of example, because my target language is English. It's generally known that you have to observe a style manual proper to your own target language. I read -- and immensely enjoyed -- Umberto Eco's book on the subject of scholarly writing (Come si fu una tesi di laurea), but as I had it in Spanish, the examples were changed to adapt to the conventions of that language.

Into what language did you intend to write?

millina
TOPIC STARTER
i mean.. Aug 19, 2009

Hi Parrot, thanks for your reply.

i might have not been very clear on what i mean to do...it should be a text explaining what is an art catalogue, how to write it, and some observations on specific words in the art-field (ex: oil on panel, oil on canvas, pencil on envelope, Gouache on paper, Gouache and crayon on paper) that could lose their meaning without a proper translation or could be misundrestood.

i intend to write it in italian and possibly translaiting it into english.

i've checked Eco's book...my concerne is that i could be a bit dated(1977).

i don't know if i can do what i want without the help of books or manuals that already treat the topic. i can't possibly be the first person to approach the topic!!! =P

[Edited at 2009-08-19 08:46 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translating an ART catalogue

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search