translating an ART catalogue
Thread poster: millina

millina
Local time: 18:46
Aug 13, 2009

Hi everyone,

i really need your help. I'm an art student and i'd like to write my final dissertation about "Art Catalogue and the Art of Translating".

My problem is that i can't find any bibliography!

Does someone knows any book or website on this topic?

thanks to anyone who can help me out!

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Er... Aug 14, 2009

First of all, welcome to the community, millina.

Maybe I take it for granted because I used to be an art student myself and now do art catalogues and exhibits, but isn't the work rather straightforward? I get by on field- or period-specific glossaries and the Chicago Manual of Style.

And I only mention the Chicago Manual by way of example, because my target language is English. It's generally known that you have to observe a style manual proper to your own target language. I read -- and immensely enjoyed -- Umberto Eco's book on the subject of scholarly writing (Come si fu una tesi di laurea), but as I had it in Spanish, the examples were changed to adapt to the conventions of that language.

Into what language did you intend to write?

millina
TOPIC STARTER
i mean.. Aug 19, 2009

Hi Parrot, thanks for your reply.

i might have not been very clear on what i mean to do...it should be a text explaining what is an art catalogue, how to write it, and some observations on specific words in the art-field (ex: oil on panel, oil on canvas, pencil on envelope, Gouache on paper, Gouache and crayon on paper) that could lose their meaning without a proper translation or could be misundrestood.

i intend to write it in italian and possibly translaiting it into english.

i've checked Eco's book...my concerne is that i could be a bit dated(1977).

i don't know if i can do what i want without the help of books or manuals that already treat the topic. i can't possibly be the first person to approach the topic!!! =P

[Edited at 2009-08-19 08:46 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translating an ART catalogue

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search