https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/14350-urgent%3A_looking_for_the_microsoft_glossaries.html

Urgent: Looking for the Microsoft glossaries
Thread poster: Dipl.-Kfm. Bernhard Aicher MBA
Dipl.-Kfm. Bernhard Aicher MBA
Dipl.-Kfm. Bernhard Aicher MBA  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:37
English to German
+ ...
Sep 21, 2003

The Microsoft glossaries are no longer downloadable.

So I am looking for somebody who would be willing to e-mail them ([email protected]).

I need EN, FR and DE.

Many thanks in advance to the helpful person!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Try to use an FTP program Sep 21, 2003

I tried to download them last week from ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/developr/msdn/newup/glossary using my IE 6.0 browser, but it didn´t work. So I used PSFtp (freeware, http://www.psftp.de/ ) and connected to ... See more
I tried to download them last week from ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/developr/msdn/newup/glossary using my IE 6.0 browser, but it didn´t work. So I used PSFtp (freeware, http://www.psftp.de/ ) and connected to ftp://ftp.microsoft.com using "anonymous" as login and password, then navigated to the above directory "/developr/msdn/newup/glossary" and downloaded them from there.
Sending french per email is almost impossible - it is 42 MB!

But nevertheless, if you do not suceed in downloading, let me know, I´ll try to split the french one and send it to you.

The connection via FTP works fine - I just checked it again.

HTH
Jerzy

PS
Sorry, PSFtp is not a freeware anymore, but you can still download a test version from their homepage, so try it with a test version.

[Edited at 2003-09-21 22:16]

[Edited at 2003-09-22 00:31]
Collapse

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Thank you, Jerzy ! Sep 22, 2003

I just downloaded the Chinese one as you indicated with CutFTP. Everything was going well.

Have a nice evening or a nice morning

Dipl.-Kfm. Bernhard Aicher MBA
Dipl.-Kfm. Bernhard Aicher MBA  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jerzy Sep 22, 2003

Thank you so much for this very useful advice!

PSFtp is now downloading the required glossaries.

giogi
giogi
Local time: 09:37
Are you sure? Sep 22, 2003

try the link below....
Good luck!
http://www.lai.com/microsft.html

Alpha-HD
Alpha-HD
French to German
+ ...
Same problem, but your solution doesn't work with me! Sep 22, 2003

thanks for all your help, but my test version of PSFTP doesn't work, either. Is it because of the test version, or because I am using a router (settings unknown)? who can help?

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
ftp download problems (not?) Sep 22, 2003

I downloaded the English-Polish glossaries from the MS site late last week directly from IE 6 without any problems (except for speed, but it was manageable). It still works as I'm writing this...
If anyone needs a copy of a particular file, drop me a line and I will be glad to mail it to them.

Pawel Skalinski

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Downloading problems Sep 22, 2003

I´m not a computer and network expert, but I use a router myself too and experienced no problems with downloading via ftp.
Perhaps you should try other ftp clients, such as CuteFTP or so.
When using ftp-client be sure to connect to ftp://ftp.microsoft.com. In fact, using the whole adress with the complete path to the glossaried
... See more
I´m not a computer and network expert, but I use a router myself too and experienced no problems with downloading via ftp.
Perhaps you should try other ftp clients, such as CuteFTP or so.
When using ftp-client be sure to connect to ftp://ftp.microsoft.com. In fact, using the whole adress with the complete path to the glossaried did not work for me either.
Be sure, that your setting for proxy is accurate. If one setting does not wor, try the opposite one (proxy enabled or disabled). Leave all settings of ftp client by default.
Use "anonymous" both as login and password (lower case, as here).

Sending glossaries via email may be a problem - the files are zipped and still between 8 and 42 MB!

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
MSDN CDs Sep 22, 2003

When you have problems downloading, try to find someone, who bought MSDN subscription nearby. The glossaries are on one of the CDs

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Try it later. maybe the server is too busy now. Sep 22, 2003

hkclcs wrote:
thanks for all your help, but my test version of PSFTP doesn't work, either. Is it because of the test version, or because I am using a router (settings unknown)? who can help?

I am using a router too. It did work well last night. But this morning I am trying to get the French Glossary, it does not work. I will try it later.

Marianne Sluyter
Marianne Sluyter
French to Dutch
+ ...
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/developr/msdn/NewUp/Glossary/ Sep 22, 2003

Dipl.-Kfm. Bernhard Aicher MBA wrote:

The Microsoft glossaries are no longer downloadable.

So I am looking for somebody who would be willing to e-mail them ([email protected]).

I need EN, FR and DE.

Many thanks in advance to the helpful person!

Alpha-HD
Alpha-HD
French to German
+ ...
Server was down Sep 23, 2003

Try again, downloads worked perfectly on 09/23 around 5 pm, while they didn't in the morning. Most likely, the server was down! The EN glossary has 17 MB. If you still need it, let me know, I downloaded it yesterday but kept it at home (I'm in the office now). Might email it to you after 3 pm.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent: Looking for the Microsoft glossaries

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »