Looking for Finnish parser/morphology analyzing tool
Thread poster: Yngve Roennike

Yngve Roennike  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:07
Swedish to English
+ ...
Sep 27, 2003

I know that Kielikone had one on its website previously, but they've canceled it. They have no intention of making it available for sale, when I checked with them last.
What to do?
Any suggestions?
Gotta be something else available for this highly complex language where words transmogrify grotesquely when being juggled around within a sentence.

By juggle I don't mean just changing position, but manipulated, as in changing case, as in when a sentence is recast.

[Edited at 2003-09-29 13:17]

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:07
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
What for? Sep 29, 2003

Words don't change at all when changed to another place in a sentence. That's the advantage in Finnish poetry.
What would you like to do with such a tool? I hope you are not inventing a machine-translation tool for Finnish?

Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Helpful replies appreciated! Sep 29, 2003

I'm sure someone is familiar with the parser tools available from Kielikone, is there something else available on the Finnish market?

Maybe I should elaborate (in the hope of eliciting more responses). This tool will tell you the exact part of speech of a given word that you enter, as well as its actual grammatical case, conjugation, etc. and provide possible base forms (possible, if there are conflicting or more than one base forms).

Anybody?
Kiitos!
Yngve

As for the "what for" respondent above and others, knowing the base form of a Finnish word is often critical to locating such a word in a dictionary. Consider a simple example such as idän whose base form is itä, probably several pages over in a large-sized dictionary. Idän will occur many more times in a general text than will itä, as will other inflected forms of words when part of a compound.

I actually today 1/4/04 found such a site, a parser for several languages including Finnish. It's odd and disturbing that a company like Kielikone will not provide such information, when asked about it, although it clearly knows this company, as it apparently is a vendor of their underlying software. I'm totally put off by that company.

[Edited at 2003-10-11 23:21]

[Edited at 2004-01-02 16:39]

[Edited at 2004-01-04 15:12]

Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Forgot the link! Oct 4, 2011

http://www2.lingsoft.fi/cgi-bin/fintwol

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for Finnish parser/morphology analyzing tool

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search