Thread poster: Alex Lago

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:31
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 12, 2009

I am looking for some good dictionaries.

I am looking for Spanish/English/Spanish dictionaries if possible, if not Spanish/English & English/Spanish.

I am looking for at least one of each of the following: a General dictionary, a Legal terms dictionary, a Medical terms dictionary and a Technical dictionary. I have knowledge of these subjects, so I am not looking for basic dictionaries, I need advanced ones. Any and all suggestions (if possible with some reason as to why) are welcome.

Ideally digital (CD or otherwise) or online dictionaries would be best, as I spend a lot of my time just with my laptop without a desk so paper editions would not be as convenient, but I would rather sacrifice convenience than quality and people seem to think they aren't as good as their paper counterparts, what is your opinion?

I am also looking for an English grammar book and a Spanish grammar book.

I have a budget of around $1000 USD, will that be enough?

I would really appreciate any help any of you are willing to give me on this.

Direct link Reply with quote

Coralia Polanco  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 22:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Diccionarios bilingues Sep 12, 2009

Hola,

En la Escuela Graduada de Traduccion de la Universidad de Puerto Rico, siempre recomiendan Simon and Shuster como diccionario a usar en esa facultad. Precio aproximado es de unos $75. Es muy completo. Mi mama que enseñaba ingles en la facultad de Estudios Generales (primer año de universidad) siempre preferia Collins Dictionary (ingles- ingles) porque tiene oraciones con cada variante de significado. Yo tengo Harper-Collins Spanish Dictionary. Este es mucho mas barato que Simon and Shuster y por supuesto menos completo. Por el momento me tiene bastar. Me costo tan solo $20 en Borders. Si tienes $1000 invierte en el mejor que diccionario que puedas comprar. De los otros que deseas comprar yo no te puedo ayudar porque mi adiestramiento en esos dos campos fue como interprete y no como traducctora. Espero que mi recomendaciones te sirva de algo y que alguien mas pueda ofrecerte mayores sugerencias.
Sineramente ,

Coralia Polanco

Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Unabridged Larousse Sep 12, 2009

This big dictionary, even though it's from a French publisher, has been incredibly helpful to me, even with specialized fields. Words which have financial, business, or legal meanings are often to be found in here, even when they're missing from my specialty dictionaries. I don't know if it's on line or not.
When doing translations about the physical world, it's always the Oxford-Duden Pictorial Spanish English I have at hand. It contains hundreds of detailed drawings of factories, workshops, and workplaces of every kind, labelled in English and Spanish. I can compare what's being described to the diagrams -- down to the most minute detail-- and find the term I need.
!Suerte!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Medical.... you want to go for Navarro Sep 12, 2009

For medical translation you definitely need the Navarro.

xxxAguas de Mar
Navarro for the medical field Sep 13, 2009

I agree with Tomás. Navarro, to me, is the most in-depth medical dictionary I have used. Mind you, it is not a general dictionary, but a "diccionario de dudas" so do not expect to find all medical terms there.

I cannot suggest a legal dictionary because I see you are in Spain and I suppose you are looking for something related to Spain's legal system. For my my geographical area of work, I particularly like Diccionario de terminología jurídica mexicana by Javier F: Becerra; but then again, not useful at all in a European setting, I believe.

Another inconvenient is that the two above do not seem to have electronic versions; at least for the time being.

[Edited at 2009-09-13 16:18 GMT]

xxxtazdog
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dictionary and Reference Board Sep 14, 2009

Why not have a look at the Dictionary and Reference Board here?

http://www.proz.com/references

In the search box at the top of the page, click on the "Advanced search" link, then select Spanish and English as the language pair, and click the "Search" button. You'll get a list of dictionaries, along with user ratings.

BTW, I have both the "big" Collins and the Simon & Schuster's dictionaries (both general) that Coralia mentioned. They're both good, and they complement each other.

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 16, 2009

Thank you all for your replies and comments.

I will keep you posted on what I by in the end.

Louise Souter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Butt & Benjamin Sep 16, 2009

This would be my choice for a Spanish grammar book. ISBN-10: 0340810335

Brett Thomas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Collins Unabridged Spanish Sep 30, 2009

a new edition of the large Collins Spanish Unabridged has just been released and is available for download at www.collinslanguage.com

I have also added the title information on the Proz.com/references page that Cindy mentions above.

FYI, I work for Harper Collins in their digital licensing team but make no money from sales of individual dictionary downloads!

[Edited at 2009-09-30 11:36 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help choosing good Spanish-English / English-Spanish dictionaries

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search