Where to find CAT Tools Compared?
Thread poster: fsa

fsa
Indonesia
Local time: 02:02
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Sep 17, 2009

Where could I find a comparison of the major computer-aided-translation tools available? Perhaps someone here knows of a web site that has neutral, "third-party" explanations and/or evaluations of the currently used, major tools?

If I look at the Tools tab at ProZ.com, it shows these tools:
* SDL TRADOS
* Wordfast
* Alchemy
* TO3000
* WhiteSmoke
* beetext FlowSaas
* Dragon NaturallySpeaking

However, the write-ups for each of these tools appears to be written by its manufacturer. So the descriptions are not neutral and similar tools are not compared.

Has anyone found a good place to read evaluations and comparisons of available CAT tools? Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

perry  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:02
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Have a look at forum posts Sep 17, 2009

Hi FSA,

some of these tools have been discussed and, sometimes compared in proz forums. Maybe you find them interesting. As you probably know, you can search forums posts by keywords.

Katia

[Edited at 2009-09-17 18:22 GMT]

fsa
Indonesia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks . . . Sep 17, 2009

. . . Katia. I know forums can be searched. But I am trying to save time.

These CAT tools are now becoming almost like appliances you buy. And just like when buying a new laptop, the internet has many evaluation and comparison sites to use. I wondered if it's gotten that way with these software products.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:02
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
MemoQ missing! Sep 17, 2009

I thought I'd just mention a tool that is becoming a relevant player in this market. Kilgray's MemoQ. Don't forget to check it out! I did and I am very happy I did so. Cheers!

xxxPaul Daubreu
French to German
+ ...
A list... Sep 17, 2009

fsa wrote:

. . . Katia. I know forums can be searched. But I am trying to save time.

These CAT tools are now becoming almost like appliances you buy. And just like when buying a new laptop, the internet has many evaluation and comparison sites to use. I wondered if it's gotten that way with these software products.

of current CAT tools can be found at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAT_tool
I think it gives a first insight about the complexity of the matter.

And fsa, no judgement from my side, but trying to save time should not lead you to spend money you would otherwise have saved (e.g. by buying an expensive CAT tool you don't feel comfortable with).

[Edited at 2009-09-17 19:52 GMT]

Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I miss... Sep 17, 2009

CAT fights!

And I'd bet a lot of old-timers do, too...

[Editado a las 2009-09-17 20:31 GMT]

Full blown comparisons Sep 17, 2009

are available, for a charge, at

http://www.translatorstraining.com/premium/index.php

Paolo Troiani  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
2006 Imperial college survey Sep 17, 2009

Hi,

go to :

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/pls/portallive/docs/1/7307707.PDF

It takes just a bit of time to read it, but i think it is really translator-oriented.
I know it is 2006 we are talking about but as far as I know, no updates available
Anyway, try to google around for similar surveys too.

HTH,

Paolo

[Edited at 2009-09-17 22:32 GMT]

fsa
Indonesia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wikipedia to the rescue . . . Sep 18, 2009

Thanks, Paul. That Wikipedia list is enough to get anyone started. I counted more than 50 programs listed on the page. While all the programs may not do exactly the same things, if I were to spend just 30 minutes each reading about the programs, it'd take me 25 manhours - 3 workdays - to get through them all. And that's not counting the other links on that page.

I am not in a hurry to buy any program. I've gotten along well enough without one of these, but I know it's good to keep up with what's going on in the industry.

I can imagine the CAT fights that must have gone on here before everyone just got tired .

Mette Melchior  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Danish
+ ...
translatorstraining.com Sep 18, 2009

Jost Zetzsche (translator and the man behind the e-book "A Translator's Tool Box" and the very informative technical newsletter "The Toolkit") has created this website which offers video presentations and reviews of CAT tools, but you need to pay a subscription fee to get access to all the content. It is not expensive, though - only 35 euros - and I am sure it will give you some valuable insight into the advantages and disadvantages of the different tools on the market. You can also see some sample videos for free.

I have been wanting to check it out for quite some time, but just haven't found the time. If anyone has used this site to compare CAT tools, please let us know what you think about it.

Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Outdated site Sep 18, 2009

Mette Melchior wrote:
If anyone has used this site to compare CAT tools, please let us know what you think about it.

The videos and descriptions posted at translatorstraining.com are old and in many cases don't represent current tools.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
And... Sep 18, 2009

Rodolfo Raya wrote:
The videos and descriptions posted at translatorstraining.com are old and in many cases don't represent current tools.

I paid my $30, but after the first few videos, no others were posted, and the tools were for the most part compared mostly with regard to features that Trados users might find interesting. Still, it was interesting to see one man's opinions about the features of some of the tools I use. I might pay another $30 if he started posting comparative videos again. And yes, in the light of the new version of Trados (not to mention newer versions of the other tools) the videos are a bit outdated, but they do give the user an idea of what workflows are available out there.

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Where to find CAT Tools Compared? Sep 18, 2009

If you want to have a good comparison of translation tools, I am only be able to say: Do it yourself! Most of the existing comparisons in Internet are too old or skewed. Here you have a perspective (not a comparison) on most of the TM that has been openly concealed by a person on whom better I silence my opinion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Translation_memory&diff=250439268&oldid=250434306

Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
About translatorstraining.com Sep 18, 2009

Rodolfo Raya wrote:

Jost Zetzsche asked me to clarify my statement, so here is why I wrote that:

- The version of Trados presented in translatorstraining.com is old. Trados Studio 2009 is not there.

- Wordfast version is also old. Wordfast PRO is not there.

- Swordfish has changed considerably since the presentation was created. That presentation does not represent Swordfish since several releases ago.

- OmegaT has improved noticeably. The presentation at translatorstraining.com does not portray current OmegaT.

- MemoQ has changed a lot recently. The presentation has not been updated.

- A beta version of Heartsome 7 is shown, together with a newer version. The beta version should have been removed long ago, as it is different from the actual product.

I have not checked the updates in all other tools, so I can't say what else needs to be improved.

Regards,
Rodolfo

cEyeToldUso
Italian to English
The clothes may change but the body is just the same. Sep 24, 2009

full disclosure: I'm from TranslatorsTraining.

Nice to see a lively discussion on how to compare CAT tools.

New videos of the latest versions of Wordfast and Trados haven't been posted yet on TranslatorsTraining. The companies themselves produce the videos (which we narrate, edit and host) because we feel the software makers themselves are best placed to show how their tool should be used to perform a certain task. SDL are producing their video and we hope to have more news on that soon.

In general, we only update a presentation if there are significant changes in the user interface or the workflow.

We'd like to thank Rodolfo, the creator of Swordfish, for pointing out that his product needs a new video and he's now in the process of creating a new one.

In the case of OmegaT we have asked OmegaT users who are part of the developer team whether we should do a new version (since OmegaT is an open-source tool we need to create that video ourselves) and the answer was no -- we should wait until more comprehensive changes have been implemented.

In the case of MemoQ, it was decided not to produce a new video since not one feature described in the presentations has changed (they all follow one specific script for best-possible comparison).

We do try to keep current and we appreciate forums like this that remind us that a CAT comparison mechanism is sorely needed. We also appreciate feedback and notes to let us know when we need to fix something, as in the case of Swordfish. Our thanks to everyone.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where to find CAT Tools Compared?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search