German dictionary for 18th-Century usage?
Thread poster: Susan Welsh

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:30
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Oct 6, 2009

I'm slowly working on a for-fun project to translate a "Speech on Genius" by one of Schiller's teachers, Jakob Friedrich Abel. Can anybody suggest a useful dictionary for 18th-Century usages? German-English would be nice, but probably not possible, so German-German.

The following sentence, for example, has caught me up short:

"Der frohe Jüngling feiert an ihm den Geburtstag seines Glücks, und froh schlägt ihm das Herz des Greisen nach, der Bürger des Vaterlandes ruft ihm segnend entgegen, und segnend vermischen sich die Jubel des Ausländers, der nahe Gegenwärtige jauchzt, und aus dem Munde ferner Fremden hallet sein Jauchzen zurück."

This is at the beginning, all by way of praising the virtues of the Duke who made all this wonderful work we're doing possible.

Thanks,
Susan

Direct link Reply with quote

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:30
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Old dictionaries Oct 6, 2009

I've managed to collect a number of 19th century dictionaries, including a few from the 1830s or 1840s, which give me a little more insight into the usage of the period. These are German/English in fact. Most came from eBay.de and cost just a few euros. If you've got time you might try to scoop up a few of these ancient gems. They are useless to most people, but I've actually found them valuable for legal work citing old documents.

Damian Harrison
Germany
Local time: 12:30
German to English
Muret Sanders 1910 Oct 6, 2009

Try looking for an old edition of Muret Sanders on ebay.de. I picked up a 1910 edition last year for around €15 plus P&P. While that's still over one hundred years out from the period you are looking, they will still prove to be very useful for jobs like this.

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Try with this one Oct 6, 2009

It's online and I found it very complete and useful:
http://germazope.uni-trier.de/Projects/DWB

Helen Shiner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
Antiquarian Booksellers Oct 7, 2009

I would also suggest finding the oldest dictionaries you can. By far the best source of antiquarian books is the Zentrales Verzeichnis Antiquarischer Bücher [www.zvab.de] which allows you to search through international second-hand and antiquarian book dealers' offerings and then deal with any one of them direct. A very speedy way of finding what you want. Just one warning, though, it is compulsive - at least it is in my case!

[Edited at 2009-10-07 08:56 GMT]

Robert Tucker
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Other older German dictionaries Oct 7, 2009

In addition to Grimm, referenced by Giuseppina, there is also the Early New High German - English at:

http://www.germanstudies.org.uk/enhg_dic/enhg_dica.htm

Also check out the links here:

http://www.germanstudies.org.uk/

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:30
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 7, 2009

to all for your great suggestions.

xxxhazmatgerman
Local time: 12:30
English to German
Further to Oct 8, 2009

Helen Shiner's hint there is another very large net site for searching for used books:
www(dot)eurobuch(dot)com, formerly www(dot)sfb(dot).at. It does not include zvab, so both should be consulted. And with Shiner: browsing there can become compulsive.
Success!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

German dictionary for 18th-Century usage?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search