Which is the best wordcount software to use?
Thread poster: Translator_100
Oct 9, 2009

I am looking for word count software that counts a large range of files, including html. I have had problems with some of the free online downloads, but also with the more expensive software. Any recommendations or thoughts would be welcome...

Direct link Reply with quote

Volodymyr Kukharenko
Ukraine
Local time: 14:44
Member (2009)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Did you try Anycout? Oct 9, 2009

It can be downloaded from http://www.anycount.com/download.html and has 30 days trial period and it can count over 36 file formats, so you may try it to find out if it suits your needs.

Translator_100
TOPIC STARTER
Wordcount software Oct 9, 2009

I have tried the trial for Anycount, and also for anymini, but it seemed to give a much greater word count for website pages than we obtained when we counted ourselves or by copying and pasting. The most accurate I have tried so far is Total Assistant, but even this gives some off results on website pages. I don't know if this is something inevitable?

Volodymyr Kukharenko
Ukraine
Local time: 14:44
Member (2009)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
it depends on settings... Oct 9, 2009

Translator_100 wrote:

I have tried the trial for Anycount, and also for anymini, but it seemed to give a much greater word count for website pages than we obtained when we counted ourselves or by copying and pasting. The most accurate I have tried so far is Total Assistant, but even this gives some off results on website pages. I don't know if this is something inevitable?

Not all the text can be copy-pased from HTML, some part is inevitably lost.

Did you remove the chechboxes in "Settings-HTML"? Anycount counts not just the text that you see on the web-page, but also Meta Keywords, Meta Description, picture captions etc, as they are normally have to be translated as well and cannot be copy-pasted from HTML... That could explain the difference. So if you do not want them to be counted, remove the corresponding checkboxes in the settings.

Anyway, if that is the case, you may ask AnyCount support why it happens so and they will probably fix the problem if it exists.

[Edited at 2009-10-09 14:52 GMT]

Translator_100
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 13, 2009

Thank you very much for the suggestion, I will certainly try that!
Thanks again

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which is the best wordcount software to use?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search