Thread poster: Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:50
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Oct 30, 2009

I shall probably be visiting the UK at the start of next year for family reasons and would like to buy at least one PT/EN and EN/PT dictionary for me to use in Brazil. I would really like a dictionary that is not available in Brazil. If the bookshop could ship it back that would be even better, as this would avoid excess baggage charges. I would be based in the West Midlands and could buy either in London or Birmingham. What I really need is a good technical dictionary, although any dictionaries... See more
I shall probably be visiting the UK at the start of next year for family reasons and would like to buy at least one PT/EN and EN/PT dictionary for me to use in Brazil. I would really like a dictionary that is not available in Brazil. If the bookshop could ship it back that would be even better, as this would avoid excess baggage charges. I would be based in the West Midlands and could buy either in London or Birmingham. What I really need is a good technical dictionary, although any dictionaries in other areas could be interesting.

If you have any suggestions of what dictionaries I could buy and where to buy them, this would be very much appreciated.
Collapse

John Rawlins
John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bookshop in Soho Oct 30, 2009

This is the biggest foreign language bookshop I know in London. They are in Soho in the centre of the West End. I am sure they handle international shipping too.

http://www.grantandcutler.com/

Carole Paquis
Carole Paquis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
English to French
Agree with John Oct 30, 2009

I agree with John.

As far as Birmingham is concerned, I wouldn't waste my time looking for a decent bookshop for dictionaries. I gave up years ago.
I live locally and order all my dictionaries from Grant & Cutler or online.

Carole

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
Option Oct 31, 2009

Instead of buying 'heavy' and time-consuming dictionaries I suggest the WordFinder program for your computer. You can add dictionaries and your own or customer glossaries as you wish. Perhaps I'm the only user on Proz -- it would be nice once in a while to hear the opinion of other contributors.

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:50
Dutch to English
+ ...
They do ... Oct 31, 2009

John Rawlins wrote:

I am sure they handle international shipping too.

http://www.grantandcutler.com/

I order from them on quite a regular basis. I've never had any problems with them.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dictionaries in the UK

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »