https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/150125-music_sound_production_hardware_software_localization_etc_specialized_agencies.html

Music (sound production/hardware/software/localization etc.) specialized agencies
Thread poster: Andrey Romanenko
Andrey Romanenko
Andrey Romanenko  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:07
English to Russian
+ ...
Nov 5, 2009

Dear colleagues,

I'd be deeply grateful for any recommendations of the agencies / freelancer teams that are concentrating on the subject.

Or any advice related to the translation/interpreting of music/sound/show biz related materials from ENG to RU/UA and vice versa.
Video/photo specialized agencies are also of interest.

Thanks in advance.

Andrey Romanenko
PRO
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I'd be deeply grateful for any recommendations of the agencies / freelancer teams that are concentrating on the subject.

Or any advice related to the translation/interpreting of music/sound/show biz related materials from ENG to RU/UA and vice versa.
Video/photo specialized agencies are also of interest.

Thanks in advance.

Andrey Romanenko
PROZ.com profile: www.proz.com/profile/907148

[Edited at 2009-11-05 17:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-11-05 18:57 GMT]
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:07
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Your question is unclear Nov 6, 2009

Andrey,

I read your post twice, and failed to understand whether you are offering such services, or looking for someone who does offer them.

I am a freelance EN-PT translator in Brazil, and I work a lot with audio & video localization. However we have a problem here... our only language in common is English.

To illustrate, when I'm given a DVD (or any other kind of video, VHS tapes included) to translate, subtitle, and author an interactive DVD, I often cl
... See more
Andrey,

I read your post twice, and failed to understand whether you are offering such services, or looking for someone who does offer them.

I am a freelance EN-PT translator in Brazil, and I work a lot with audio & video localization. However we have a problem here... our only language in common is English.

To illustrate, when I'm given a DVD (or any other kind of video, VHS tapes included) to translate, subtitle, and author an interactive DVD, I often clean and improve the audio track. As I need the clearest audio possible for efficient translation, I do it at the outset. When it's time to assemble the final product, it's just a matter of clicking on a different place to deliver it with "my" audio track instead. Clients are usually delighted.

The language problem is that I wouldn't know if some speech in Russian, Ukranian, or any language I don't speak is clear enough to be understood, or if it still behooves improvement. I won't understand anything anyway.

You'll find some possibly interesting material on A/V browsing my web site:
http://www.lamensdorf.com.br

FORUM MODERATORS: You are welcome to delete the link to my site if it's not allowed here. He can find it from my Proz profile.
Collapse

Andrey Romanenko
Andrey Romanenko  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: more details to the subject Nov 6, 2009

Dear Mr Lamensdorf,

do appreciate your efforst. Sorry for being non-specific enough.

What I mean is: in addition to my experience as a translator / interpreter, I got a music background (piano + guitar) + I got my own sound production studio that means a decent level of understanding of sound production / engineering / recording technologies / studio hardware / software and more.
In total word "music" means a lot for me through the last 22 years of my life.
... See more
Dear Mr Lamensdorf,

do appreciate your efforst. Sorry for being non-specific enough.

What I mean is: in addition to my experience as a translator / interpreter, I got a music background (piano + guitar) + I got my own sound production studio that means a decent level of understanding of sound production / engineering / recording technologies / studio hardware / software and more.
In total word "music" means a lot for me through the last 22 years of my life.

So now I'm try to find out wether any kind of synergy is possible here, when using my music knowledge together with my language skills, trying to find an agency that specializes on music or showbiz- related issues, if any.

Voice overs are also of interest for me, I've passed the quality tests for a couple of outsorcers at PROZ.com already, but still that's another issue, I've taken a note of your webpage and will visit it definetely later on.

So if you know somebody working in that direction, I'd be thankful for some contact details.

Best regards,
Andrey Romanenko

[Edited at 2009-11-06 12:54 GMT]
Collapse

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
I am also interested Nov 7, 2009

I could not really find one yet.

I studied music and I worked in the industry as Italian Editor at Philips Classics for 8 years. At the time I had several free-lance translators and writers working for me. Since 1996, when PolyGram was sold and European Creative Services offices closed, I get to translate the occasional translation projects related to music, but they generally amount to a minimal fraction of my income and do not come from a specific source.

I had only
... See more
I could not really find one yet.

I studied music and I worked in the industry as Italian Editor at Philips Classics for 8 years. At the time I had several free-lance translators and writers working for me. Since 1996, when PolyGram was sold and European Creative Services offices closed, I get to translate the occasional translation projects related to music, but they generally amount to a minimal fraction of my income and do not come from a specific source.

I had only one important music related project originated from Italy, namely the translation of a few essays for the Enciclopedia della Musica Einaudi, but it was so poorly paid that despite all my efforts (I really went to the extremes) it proved not compatible with my habit of eating every day, and I had to let it go.

Luca
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Why agencies? Nov 9, 2009

Me too I am a musician and work in Audio (Mac - Logic Pro). I have worked for some magazines here in Germany (Keyboards, Guitar & Bass, etc.) and get some jobs from music companies, like Shure, and some others. I think the best way is to contact with companies in your country, or global players in the music industry who maybe need translations for his products in/from your country (internet presence). There is a Music fair in your country? That would be a good place to search for potential clie... See more
Me too I am a musician and work in Audio (Mac - Logic Pro). I have worked for some magazines here in Germany (Keyboards, Guitar & Bass, etc.) and get some jobs from music companies, like Shure, and some others. I think the best way is to contact with companies in your country, or global players in the music industry who maybe need translations for his products in/from your country (internet presence). There is a Music fair in your country? That would be a good place to search for potential clients.

I think, in general, the first step is to try to avoid agencies

For example, tomorrow Apple will present his new Logic Pro, here in Cologne. I will assist to this event and maybe I can out some business cards, who knows...

Good Luck

[Edited at 2009-11-09 16:57 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Music (sound production/hardware/software/localization etc.) specialized agencies

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »