Spanish-English slang dictionary - suggestions needed
Thread poster: Lucy Williams

Lucy Williams  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:00
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
Nov 7, 2009

Hello, I wonder if anyone could help me......

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good dictionary Sp -Eng for SLANG?
Online would be preferable.

Thanks.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-11-07 12:24 GMT]

Laurie Price  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Google gives a number of references ... Nov 7, 2009

but you might want to narrow the scope to British or American equivalents. Or even better, from one Spanish speaking area to another English speaking area --

A friend gave me a print dictionary that I found mostly unusable, since the definitions were in British slang, most of which don't really make too much sense to an American OR are not really in contemporary use.

Also, Spanish slang varies from place to place -- not all expressions used in parts of Spain are relevant to other parts of Spain, and most of those are not relevant to Latin American slang expressions, which vary widely from one Latin American country to another.

Good luck in your search, and please DO post your findings here.

Smonferrer  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some links Nov 7, 2009

Hello,

try to find a useful dictionary in this webpage: http://www3.unileon.es/dp/dfh/jmr/dicci/013.htm

Here you can find differents glossaries like this one http://www.dreamcentral.com/people/jeanweaver/spanish.htm which compares english expressions with their equivalents in some spanish variants.

Lucy Williams  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Good point Nov 7, 2009

That's a good point that my first post didn't make clear. Generally I'd be looking for Spanish(castellano) - British English, but just at the moment I'm really looking for Spanish(castellano)-US English for a particular project I'm working on.

so far I've found www.jergasdehablahispana.org but I was wondering if anyone had anything they could really recommend.

[Edited at 2009-11-07 14:07 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Castellano Nov 7, 2009

Lucy Williams wrote:

That's a good point that my first post didn't make clear. Generally I'd be looking for Spanish(castellano) - British English, but just at the moment I'm really looking for Spanish(castellano)-US English for a particular project I'm working on.

so far I've found www.jergasdehablahispana.org but I was wondering if anyone had anything they could really recommend.

"Castellano" gets on my nerves a bit in general, but in this case you're really better off calling it "European Spanish" or "Spanish from Spain". As far as I can tell, "castellano" can't be used to refer to any variety in particular with any reliability at all. Spanish speakers usually can't give a specific reason why they use this or that term for their own dialect. Both Español and Castellano are widely used in Spain, with Catalonia showing a strong preference for Castellano as far as I can tell. Many Latin Americans prefer to call their own variety of Spanish "Castellano", because it's not from Spain i.e. not Español. The fact that it is even less Castilian doesn't seem to bother them... but then again, they do use "Español" as well.

As to the original question, I have no slang dictionaries to offer. Just google it, I'm sure you'll find something. Given how fast slang changes, printed slang dictionaries are much less use anyway. If you're translating from Spanish, google the terms as you come across them... it's likely to be much more productive than trying to look for some exhaustive dictionary that probably doesn't exist.

[Edited at 2009-11-07 15:28 GMT]

Joel Pina Diaz  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Slang 5000 Nov 8, 2009

By Daniel Hughs
Modismos del Ingles traducidos al Español, 246 pages rich and tasty English UK - USA, Spanish general, quit useful. Re edited from 1977 up dated 2005, contemporary.
Editorial Diana ISBN 968-13-0746-1

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spanish-English slang dictionary - suggestions needed

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search