Engineering Translation software
Thread poster: mechatronics

mechatronics
Local time: 01:05
Nov 8, 2009

Hi everybody! I am a university student and I badly need to translate a textbook written in French into English. The textbook is about Photovoltaic pumping and is a manual dedicated to Engineers. It consists mainly of Mechanical and electrical/electronic terms. I need a good translation of the technical terms. Could you tell me how to do that please?

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:05
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Hi Nov 9, 2009

I am afraid, that no software will do this for you. Are you going to do the translation yourself? If no, then it would be better to post a paid job (Jobs > Post a job).
And if you will be doing this yourself, you will certainly need good dictionaries first of all. What about the software - some CAT tools (i.e. the tools for computer-aided translation - NOT machine translation) would be certainly useful.

Natalia

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:05
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
How certain... Nov 9, 2009

mechatronics wrote:
I am a university student and I badly need to translate a textbook written in French into English. The textbook is about Photovoltaic pumping and is a manual dedicated to Engineers. It consists mainly of Mechanical and electrical/electronic terms. I need a good translation of the technical terms.

How certain are you that most of the technical terms will not be in a general FR-EN dictionary, or at least in a general technical FR-EN dictionary?

Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 22:05
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
routledge Nov 9, 2009

Hello,

Routledge is a fairly decent EN-FR technical dictionnary.

MoH

mechatronics
Local time: 01:05
TOPIC STARTER
Engineering Translation software Nov 10, 2009

Let me explain in detail. I am doing my final year project and I have got a book which is exclusively about my project title: Photovoltaic Pumping. However, the book is written in French and though, We're bilingual in Mauritius, we're used to learn everything in English as it is our official Language. Firstly, I translated some chapters of the book using Google Translate but, later I found some user reviews saying that it is better to look for an Engineering Translator software to translate the technical terms better as Google Translate does not cater for this. That is why I am looking for help here after having identified this website. A dictionary will do the job for some of the words but not the proper structuring of the sentences and phrases overall. On the Homepage of this website, there is a link 'Upload Your Text Here' which gives an opportunity to Translate texts containing specific terms in the required language but, before trying anything I wanted to confirm whether that's the right procedure.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Engineering Translation software

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search