Eileen Brophy  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:39
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 26, 2009

Hi,

Does anyone at all know of anywhere where I can get a glossary of Flamenco Dancing please?

I want to translate a promotion of a Flamenco Dancing DVD and need terminology like Zapateo, and other words which are more specifically related to Flamenco Dancing.

Many thanks for your help.

Eileen

GingerR  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Flamenco dance schools, websites,... Nov 26, 2009

I guess you've already checked Wikipedia... not that it is always a reliablie source of information, but some kind of starting point.

I would go for contacting some flamenco schools in an English speaking country - they may have information materials / glossaries for their students - at least my school in Poland had some sort of a dance terms glossary...icon_smile.gif
If not, they might be willing to do some consulting.
Or a Spanish Cultural Institute in UK/US - they may also be willing to help.

Good luck!

Joanna

Cecilia Divett  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Glossary Nov 26, 2009

Does this help at all?
http://www.flamenco.org/glossary.html

From my experience of dancing flamenco in the UK, my teacher never liked to translate the terms for the steps/moves, you just had to learn them whilst practising..

Good luck!
Cecilia

Adi Al-Ka'bi
Local time: 12:39
Arabic to English
+ ...

Spain
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Flamenco Glossary Nov 26, 2009

Thanks for your comments, I have already looked at Wikipedia and also found the Flamenco Glossary, what I did notice was that most of the terms are not translated and I wondered if that was usual as I have a video promotion to translate. Many thanks anyway, I shall take a look on YouTube too and see how they present dancers, etc.

Eileen

Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't translate Nov 26, 2009

Just as Italian and Latin terms are used untranslated to describe music, *allegro*, *a capella*, *DC al fin* etc, so Spanish terms are unique to flamenco. I would consider, as suggested above, using the Spanish term, explaining it, and then continuing with the Spanish term throughout. I would hesitate only if there were a long run of terms that could confuse listeners (if this audio rather than written material).

Spain
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Flamenco Dancing Terms in English Nov 26, 2009

Many thanks to you all for your help, I guess I will do as suggested and use Spanish terms with explanations in English as suggested by Jessica and many thanks for links to glossary sites they will be most helpful too in clarifying the terms and how to explain them in English.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Flamenco Dancing Spanish to English Glossary

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search