Thread poster: Alf Ivar Tronsmo
Alf Ivar Tronsmo
Alf Ivar Tronsmo
Norway
Local time: 11:43
English to Norwegian
Nov 27, 2009

Hi everyone

Having translated documents both with Trados and Wordfast I find that it should not be necessary to have both tools. I see that outsourcers often require the use of Trados, but seldom that they require the use of Wordfast.

OK - I am in the middle of a huge project where the outsourcer require a third CAT tool, and I can understand that, because this tool works with a special file extension. But Wordfast and Trados work with the same file types, and both tool
... See more
Hi everyone

Having translated documents both with Trados and Wordfast I find that it should not be necessary to have both tools. I see that outsourcers often require the use of Trados, but seldom that they require the use of Wordfast.

OK - I am in the middle of a huge project where the outsourcer require a third CAT tool, and I can understand that, because this tool works with a special file extension. But Wordfast and Trados work with the same file types, and both tools could be used on those files.

So I am asking my self: What is the main argument for the use of Trados and not Wordfast? Why should I purchase both tools when one could do the job for me? Is the main reason why the outsourcer require Trados that they have several translators working on different parts of the project, and thereby needs everyone to use the same tool?

I would like to be more independent to Trados because it is both expencive and less customizable. But I couldn't neglect the outsourcers wish for Trados, could I?
Collapse

Boris Sigalov
Boris Sigalov
Local time: 12:43
English to Russian
A stupid myth Nov 27, 2009

Alf Ivar Tronsmo wrote:

I couldn't neglect the outsourcers wish for Trados, could I?

You CAN, Alf.

As long as you can deliver the required format you may use ANY tool you like. The necessity to meet requirements for the use of any specific TM CAT tools is one of the most stupid myths in translation industry. It's not outsourcers' business what tools we use for the job. As it's not our business what instruments mechanics use to repair our cars. All we are interested in is the proper RESULT.

Why do outsourcers require specific TM CAT tools? The answer is quite simple: they are simply IGNORANT and don't know that the same thing can be done with other (and better) tools.

- You want me to do this job with Trados? OK, fine! Here you are.

And they will never know that actually I did it with MemoQ or DVX...

A lie? Yes, a bit but I am tired and do not have time anymore to educate ignorant outsourcers...

Anna Haxen
Anna Haxen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2005)
English to Danish
+ ...
Honesty is the best policy Nov 27, 2009

I have clients who use Trados and who don't mind that I use Wordfast. I've had no complaints about incompatibility. I'd never not tell the client that I don't use Trados, though.

Jose Ruivo
Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:43
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not all tools produce the same results Nov 27, 2009

Boris Sigalov wrote:

Alf Ivar Tronsmo wrote:

I couldn't neglect the outsourcers wish for Trados, could I?

You CAN, Alf.

As long as you can deliver the required format you may use ANY tool you like.

If your clients requests an "unclean" version of your work, can you produce that if you've been using WordFast Pro? We know you can't, despite wishing that TM file format would be completely compatible between WordFast Classic and WordFast Pro, it isn't

Why a client needs an "unclean" version of the job?? I suspect he's going to update his Trados TM with with it. He may not accept you supplying him a TM in TMX format - I know I wouldn't, as this "compatible" file formats are never 100% compatible.

I often request "my" translators to use WordFast Pro, in order to use the terminology function of this CAT tool, which I find so much easier and usefull than Trados Multiterm. They would not be able to do so using Trados, and working as a team we would not be able to exchange and update glossaries. Therefore WordFast Pro in such cases is mandatory!

I often have clients telling me that I should not translate the RED text, or that I'm free to translate the Green text, but I should look for references while translating the Brown text. Question: can you see text colors in WordFast Pro?? Unless you're happy checking the original text in Word every few lines, you're much better off using Trados (2007) for such work.

So, I believe Alf should get *first* the CAT tool he is required more often to use. How would you deal with the situation of the client sending you a Multiterm terminology base for you to use during your work? On the other hand, this may not be a important issue in your subject area...
Try asking your main clients: would it make a diference if I used WordFast instead?

Good luck.

Boris Sigalov
Boris Sigalov
Local time: 12:43
English to Russian
That's possible to do with other tools Nov 27, 2009

Jose Ruivo wrote:

If your clients requests an "unclean" version of your work, can you produce that if you've been using WordFast Pro?

I know nothing about WordFast as I have never used it. But it's possible to produce 'unclean' files with MemoQ.

Jose Ruivo wrote:

Question: can you see text colors in WordFast Pro??

Again: I can perfectly see text colours in MemoQ. And in DVX I can use special settings to automatically exclude the words in red from the text to be translated.

[Edited at 2009-11-27 19:25 GMT]

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Another perspective Nov 28, 2009

I would first of all ask myself which TEnT I can afford to invest in. There is no good tool for the bad craftsman, and no bad tool for the good craftsman. I even translate on a regular basis using a free software - where is the problem as long as the formats are compatible?

Client-oriented services include much more than just having the CAT tool they require for their own benefit, especially when it comes to agencies.

[Edited at 2009-11-28 07:00 GMT]

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
I don't bother Nov 28, 2009

Anna Haxen wrote:

I have clients who use Trados and who don't mind that I use Wordfast. I've had no complaints about incompatibility. I'd never not tell the client that I don't use Trados, though.

Being a CAT hopper since 10 years, I mostly do not tell my clients which tools I use and which I ones do not use. Not because I am dishonest, but because most clients do not even want to know. They have other worries, so why should I confuse them with a stupid detail like this?

Of course I do tell them when issues are to be expected. By the way: delivering Trados by using other tools (except for Wordfast maybe) requires pre-processing in the Trados demo version. This demo version is genuine Trados. So how could they possibly think I am not using Trados?

[Bearbeitet am 2009-11-28 12:13 GMT]

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:43
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Wordfast Classic Nov 28, 2009

Jose Ruivo wrote:

If your clients requests an "unclean" version of your work, can you produce that if you've been using WordFast Pro?

I do it all the time with Wordfast Classic. If you can use Pro, you should also be able to use Classic.

Jose Ruivo wrote:

Question: can you see text colors in WordFast Pro??

Likewise, Wordfast Classic has no problem.

Only once have I ever had an outsourcer refuse to accept that I work with Wordfast Classic, not Trados. And he had been fed the idea that all "professional" translators use the latter.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Commercial brainwashing Nov 28, 2009

John Fossey wrote:
And he had been fed the idea that all "professional" translators use the latter.

Yes, commercial brainwashing can be quite something for feeble minds...

Julie Dion (X)
Julie Dion (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:43
English to French
remote TM Nov 30, 2009

Boris Sigalov wrote:

The necessity to meet requirements for the use of any specific TM CAT tools is one of the most stupid myths in translation industry.

And they will never know that actually I did it with MemoQ or DVX...

[/quote]

What if you need to connect to a client's TM remotely? Wouldn't it matter what CAT tool you use?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast vs Trados - outsourcers wish?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »