https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/15548-looking_for_tool_to_download_a_web_page.html

Looking for tool to download a Web page
Thread poster: Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 03:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 5, 2003

I have a request to quote on translating a Web page. While the client would supply the appropriate files for translation if my bid is accepted, I need to download all the files from the site in order to get an approx. count of the words. I know there are many tools out there that will download the files, question is which one is the better one.

Any suggestions?

TIA,
Ricardo

Jerónimo Fernández
Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
WebBudget is fine Nov 5, 2003

Hi Ricardo.

I don't know if this is the best tool, but WebBudget (http://www.webbudget.com/) is fine for that. Also, you can download a free 15-days evaluation copy.

I hope this helps.
Regards,
Jero

Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:19
Dutch to English
+ ...
Superbot Nov 5, 2003

[quote]Ricardo Martinez de la Torre wrote:

I have a request to quote on translating a Web page. While the client would supply the appropriate files for translation if my bid is accepted, I need to download all the files from the site in order to get an approx. count of the words. I know there are many tools out there that will download the files, question is which one is the better one.

Any suggestions?

I use Superbot, it works great, is user friendly and free!

http://www.sparkleware.com/superbot/

HTH

[Edited at 2003-11-05 12:58]

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
Dangerous! Nov 5, 2003

Hi Ricardo,

If your client is willing to send you the files if you win the bid, then he should be willing to send them to you now for the quote.

I'm strongly against translators downloading Web sites when asked to give a quote. There's just too much room for error (including pages that don't need translation or overlooking ones that do). I would ask the client to send the files so you can have the most accurate idea of the word count involved and therefore give the most
... See more
Hi Ricardo,

If your client is willing to send you the files if you win the bid, then he should be willing to send them to you now for the quote.

I'm strongly against translators downloading Web sites when asked to give a quote. There's just too much room for error (including pages that don't need translation or overlooking ones that do). I would ask the client to send the files so you can have the most accurate idea of the word count involved and therefore give the most precise quote.

FWIW,

Erika
Collapse

Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree with you Erika Nov 5, 2003

I downloaded Webreaper, but couldn't download all the files, so I told my client to send me the files that needed translation for me to quote.
Regards,
Ricardo

Cicero
Cicero
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:19
Japanese to English
+ ...
I was just going to say the same... Nov 5, 2003

We have also used Webreaper which is pretty effective for certain websites.

However, the word count on the HTML files using Practicount for example, only counts the words of Text that is seen as “text” in the source code of that site. Some sites have the text “sent up” from the server when the page opens, this text will not be counted. Additionally, some text can now be imbedded in the background, presumably to stop copying and pasting from a particular site, and this text w
... See more
We have also used Webreaper which is pretty effective for certain websites.

However, the word count on the HTML files using Practicount for example, only counts the words of Text that is seen as “text” in the source code of that site. Some sites have the text “sent up” from the server when the page opens, this text will not be counted. Additionally, some text can now be imbedded in the background, presumably to stop copying and pasting from a particular site, and this text will also be ignored. Finally, all text appearing in image files i.e. GIF, JPEG, will also be ignored.

In conclusion, one has to be very careful with the website and as Erika correctly states it much better for the client to send you the sites for translation.
Collapse

José Vicente García
José Vicente García
Local time: 09:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dreamweaver is what you are looking for Nov 5, 2003

Here you have one of the best tools to download and cope with websites, you can download a 30 days trial version from this URL:

http://www.macromedia.com/downloads/

Just select "try" under the Dreamweaver MX 2004 icon.

mishima (X)
mishima (X)
Local time: 16:19
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Firebird Nov 5, 2003

Firebird is a freeware Mozilla-based browser. By installing a certain pulg-in, you can donwload entire web sites for free.

I gave it a try just yesterday and it worked very well. However I haven't checked yet if "all" the files have been downloaded (JS, css, and the like).

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Webzip - Glossy Nov 6, 2003

I use Webzip for this purpose. It's great.

For the translation of HTML pages, I suggest trying Glossy 1.0 software which is available on Foreignworld website. With this one, you can extract the text into WORD and translation it over there and then change everything back into HTMl without getting invloved in any HTMl editor software.

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
CatsCradle Nov 6, 2003

Hi,

AFAIK, CC can download whole websites, and perform the necessary word count itself.

However, I agree with Erika: The client should at least provide you with a list of files which need translation. I would also ask him to send you the files, if he has them at hand (which is obviously the case here).

HTH.

Sonja

Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Czech to German
+ ...
CatsCradle, once more Nov 6, 2003

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

Hi,

AFAIK, CC can download whole websites, and perform the necessary word count itself.

... and what is more: It's freeware!

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Dreamweaver Dec 22, 2003

You can download Web pages with Dreamweaver? how?
Till now I just used it to upload my own sites.

José Vicente García Martínez wrote:

Here you have one of the best tools to download and cope with websites, you can download a 30 days trial version from this URL:

http://www.macromedia.com/downloads/

Just select "try" under the Dreamweaver MX 2004 icon.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for tool to download a Web page

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »