Legal translation/ online resources
Thread poster: stephanieL
stephanieL
English to Italian
Jan 18, 2010

Hello,

I was wondering if you could help me find a good law dictionary/ glossary, English - Italian on the Internet.

Thank you.

Steph

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:46
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
My advice Jan 19, 2010

I don't translate into Italian, but the situation could be very similar to that of Spanish. I would sincerely recommend that if you plan to do legal translation in the future you look for monolingual legal dictionaries in the two languages (in the case of English I'd recommend the Black's dictionary) and also some bilingual English-Italian dictionary. The monolingual dictionaries are a must as the legal system in English-speaking countries can be very different from the Spanish one --and the Italian one, for that matter--.

Online dictionaries or glossaries out there are generally low-quality, and you certainly don't want to deliver a wrong translation.

Carlopez
English to French
Italian-English legal dictionary/glossary listing Jan 19, 2010

I agree with what Tomás Cano Binder says. For accuracy you should not rely on word for word translations, however, with that in mind, bilingual glossaries can still be useful. There are a number of Italian-English legal dictionaries/glossaries listed at the following address: http://www.lexicool.com/dizionario-online.asp?FSP=A09B18C21
Regards...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Legal translation/ online resources

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search