Finding foreign versions of translated works
Thread poster: Tom Bool
Tom Bool
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:36
English
Jan 23, 2010

Hello everyone.

I often find myself working on texts which contain either extracts or references to literary works.

An example would be a new text referring to the line 'to be or not to be' - the reference to Shakespeare is blatant, and when translating this, for example into Khmer, we have to ask ourselves, 'has this already been translated?'

Does anyone have any tips on how to find out what translations already exist for a particular work?

Furthermore, if anyone knows if Hamlet has been translated into Khmer (which I highly doubt), I would be very grateful if they could let me know.

Thanks

Tom Bool
Integro Languages

Direct link Reply with quote

Myriam Garcia Bernabe  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:36
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
Index Translatorium Jan 23, 2010

Hi Tom,

You can try this site

http://portal.unesco.org/culture/en/ev.php-URL_ID=7810&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=-512.html

Hope this helps,
Myriam

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:36
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Try Wikipedia Jan 24, 2010

Search for Hamlet and look if the page is in Khmer. I can't say because I cannot read the script.
Regards
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finding foreign versions of translated works

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search