How do I highlight everything in a certain language in Word 2003?
Thread poster: Edward Potter

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:14
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 25, 2010

Hello everyone.

I'm trying to find the right combination in the Find feature of Word 2003 to count the amount of Spanish words mixed together with a lot of English text.

Can anyone help out?

Direct link Reply with quote

Koen van Gilst  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to Dutch
+ ...
Highlight all + More -> Format -> Language Jan 25, 2010

What you could try is the following:

- Open the Search dialog.
- Select: Highlight all items...
- Click on More
- Click on Format
- Click on Language and select Spanish.

Now click on Find All. You can then count the words with a normal wordcount.

Note that this technique will only work if the sentences / words are properly marked as being Spanish.

Otherwise the best thing you could do is mark all the Spanish words in a certain colour and repeat the above procedure with the Format -> Font -> Font color.

I know this all sounds rather complicated, but once you get a hang of the advanced search features of Word, you'll really learn to appreciate them!

All the best,

Koen

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
This may work... Jan 25, 2010

If the language was set as Spanish for the Spanish text then this method may work; if it was not, and Word interprets the Spanish parts as English text with lots of spelling mistakes, then it won't. However, even if it works, it requires some checking on your part.

Koen's solution works fine.

If you want to approach from styles, you will encounter some problems. The language attribute is quite a particular parameter of the style. When you select the text, click on the double-A icon of the style, and choose "reveal formatting", it shows up in the "Language" part -- but you cannot select it as an attribute for F/R operations the same way you can choose formatting (bold, etc.). In other words, if you start out with a doc written in Normal style throughout, and you have a word in bold, then "Normal + bold" shows up in the Style box for that word. You can select all words of that formatting. This is not the case with the language parameter, so it is in a sense hidden.

While Koen's solution works fine for this problem, a more general workaround can work well for other similar hidden attributes. You need a format in which this information is explicitly shown. Html is one way to go.

1. Convert the text to HTML in Word: [Save as: Web page (*.htm., *.html)]

2. Open the source code.
    Here you will see the language parameters, such as

< p class = MsoNormal > < span lang=EN-US style='mso-ansi-language:EN-US' > This is English.
    < o:p >< /o:p >< /span >< / p >

< p class=MsoNormal >< span lang=ES style='mso-ansi-language:ES' >Este es el español.< o:p >< /o:p >< / span >< / p >

(Note that I inserted spaces so that it is not interpreted as html code and converted.

3. Replace

< p class=MsoNormal >< span lang=ES style='mso-ansi-language:ES' > by
    < p class=MsoNormal >< span lang=ES style='mso-ansi-language:ES' >

and
    < p class = MsoNormal > < span lang=EN-US style='mso-ansi-language:EN-US' > by
    < p class = MsoNormal > < span lang=EN-US style='mso-ansi-language:EN-US' >

Then all Spanish text will be bold, and all English text will be not bold. (If bold is used for another purpose, you can select another formatting).

4. Since the two styles are now different, you can use Word's F/R function efficiently.

Kind regards,
Attila

[Edited at 2010-01-25 11:41 GMT]

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked (for the most part) Jan 25, 2010

Thank you both, Koen and Attila.

I tried Koen's solution, which was was I was looking for. I was checking the box next to Find all Word Forms (Spanish), which was not the correct way to do it.

The correct way, as Koen said, was to go to Format > Language..., and highlight everything in that language.

Most of my Spanish text was highlighted, which I can now easily count. There were a few blocks of text that did not get highlighted, probably because they are being identified as incorrectly spelled English words.

That would bring me to Attila's solution, which is more involved. I'll play with that later when I have time.

Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I highlight everything in a certain language in Word 2003?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search