Open source aligner beta tester wanted
Thread poster: FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras
Local time: 12:46
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jan 26, 2010

I think this is pretty self-explanatory... I created an open source aligner program and I'd like to know if there is someone here who would give me a hand beta testing it. Once it's done it will be free to download and use for freelancers (not yet sure about what to tell companies).

Open source aligner is a bit of an overstatement: it's a 200-line windows batch script that preprocesses txt and html files for alignment by Hunalign and creates highly customizable TMX files from Hunalign's output (or from any tab separated file, for that matter), plus it also does a few other really neat tricks.

Basically, it's a front end to Hunalign, integrated with a sentence segmenter I got from elsewhere and a TMX creator I wrote myself. You start it, specify the two input files, set a few options and a TMX pops out at the other end.

It's mostly done now, there are only a handful of new features I plan to add, and of course I need to check for any bugs... which is where you come in.

Any would-be beta tester would need to:
- Be willing to spend some time thoroughly testing features and giving detailed feedback.
- Have Windows, preferably 32-bit, preferably XP.
- Be willing to install a perl interpreter if they haven't yet (not essential).

A bit of programming experience certainly wouldn't hurt, but then I myself have none at all so I wouldn't say it's needed. If you are a somewhat advanced computer user with a healthy dose of curiosity who knows or is willing to look up what things like UTF-8, tab delimited files and batch scripts are and you don't run away screaming when faced with a command line window, you are suitable.

Post your email here in a non machine-readable format if you're interested.

[Edited at 2010-01-27 17:34 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Open source aligner beta tester wanted

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search