Off topic: Dead Market? since 2010
Thread poster: CatMaestro
CatMaestro
Ukraine
Local time: 08:40
English to Russian
Jan 30, 2010

Hey guys!

Anyone have any idea what happened to the translation market? In th 2009th the freelance websites were over filled with translation jobs, this year for month already I can get a project to translate.
So far I've done like 16 different test-translations for various of so called "Translation agencies".

So what is happening today? It's not like I work with one language pair.
All of the sudden everyone know english, russian, hebrew in the same time, today?

Direct link Reply with quote

Suzette Martin-Johnson
Canada
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
January always slow Jan 30, 2010

Hi Cat!

In my experience, January is and always has been a dead month for translation. Look for things to pick up in February and do all the stuff you've been putting off while busy translating...Gear up for the storm that's coming by maximizing your time now and renewing those batteries.

Islander

PS I am a bit of a rebel with those translation tests. Would you believe that no-one I've ever done a test for has actually given me work before? They seem to be a waste of time and on top of that they are unpaid...Hello!! I tend to avoid them now. Serious people tend to send work right away or ask for you to do a PAID test.

[Edited at 2010-01-30 14:50 GMT]

Alma de Kok  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 07:40
Member (2006)
Polish to Dutch
+ ...
Situation already getting better Jan 30, 2010

The first two weeks of January were disconcertingly quiet, but since last week I received so many job offers, that I had to turn down quite a lot.

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Slow start of the year - not uncommon at all Jan 30, 2010

January is always slow - I second that.

This year, though I have had a fair share of jobs, but I have also picked up a few new clients over the last months of 2009, so this might be it.

Next year, you will perhaps remember to save up for a slow January, and you may put off learning new skills, painting the house, taking a week off or whatever till January, where you would expect to have better time for such things without taking time off from translating.

Best of luck.

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
first two decades of January are always dull Jan 30, 2010

now, it start moving... slowly, but for sure

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A very normal year Jan 31, 2010

2010 has been a very normal year over here. Same kind of jobs and very much at the same time, so I don't think the year is different to any other year.

CatMaestro
Ukraine
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
tests Jan 31, 2010

Islander, I believe you are right about the tests.
Only once the test translation granted me an profitable translation work after completing it.

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
good month Jan 31, 2010

Been a pretty good month for me. No complaints.

Daniel Erlich  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:40
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
tests Feb 1, 2010

I've had the opposite experience with [unpaid] tests. I was called in to do a test in person, at their office, and ever since have had excellent amounts of work from that agency. Maybe I got very lucky? Anyway, I'm just starting out and they are the only company I have worked with so far, but if I hadn't taken the test then translation would not be earning me my living today.

My January went reasonably well, considering that here in Brazil, at least, it's very difficult to find or get done much work between Christmas and Carnival... Everyone loves taking extended vacations...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dead Market? since 2010

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search