How to count the number of words to translate in a document
Thread poster: sebastienk
sebastienk
Local time: 05:05
English to French
+ ...
Feb 2, 2010

Hello,

Could anybody give me a simple advice on how to count the number of words to be translated (using Trados Analysis function) AND reflect the results in the Word document to be sent to an external translator.

Example:

I have a Word document of 1,000 words.
The "Analyse" function tells me that 500 words were previously translated and are in Trados DB.
How can I reflect these 500 remaining words to be translated in the Word document I am about to send to the external translator?

Thanks a lot for your help!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-02-02 18:13 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:05
French to English
Question not clear Feb 2, 2010

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking? Do you mean you only want the translator to translate the remaining 500 words, and ignore the rest, and you want to mark those words somehow?

Maybe you should send the translation memory to the translator to use?

Maybe you should pretranslate the file from your existing translation memory?

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:05
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Share your Trados Analysis and your TM with your translator Feb 2, 2010

Just kidding Sebastien,

Your Trados Analysis tells you that, after segmenting the text with Trados, segments containing half the words in the document have already been translated.

Pre-translate the document with your TM and send that bilingual Word document and the original analysis to the translator.

For Trados jobs it's the Trados Analysis count that counts.

Good luck,
Gerard

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to count the number of words to translate in a document

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search