WYHLIDAL 2003 Industrie & Technik Professional
Thread poster: Louise Mawbey
Louise Mawbey  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:49
German to English
Nov 12, 2003

Is there anyone who has got this dictionary and can tell me whether it is worth the money (over 600 €). I do a lot of technical work and my Ernst is extremely outdated, I need a really good alternative.

Thanks in advance

Or can anyone recommend a very good De -> EN technical dictionary?

[Edited at 2003-11-12 12:35]

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
What about the new Ernst? Nov 12, 2003

http://www.kater-commerce.com/index.php?action=item&sessionid=babd61a2fd2e9a93af21ce742655bd00&lng=-1&cat=Technik&item=2767

Marc

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:49
German to English
Langenscheidt - Technik Nov 12, 2003

Sorry, Louise, I'm not familiar with the dictionary you're asking about, but I've been very happy with Langenscheidt Fachwörterbuch Technik und angewandte Wissenschaften:

http://www.kater-commerce.com/index.php?action=item&sessionid=0518c7894a92f1db7c42fd7bfeba81c7&lng=-1&cat=Technik&item=3223

[Edited at 2003-11-12 23:30]

Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:49
German to English
+ ...
Good dictionary for automotive Nov 12, 2003

I have used the older version of Wyhlidal for years and it was always a great help with my automotive translations.

It was originally a pure automotive dictionary. It looks that he has extended now its range, but I think it is reasonable to presume that still automotive terminology is the core. I have no information about the quality of this new dictionary.

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:49
German to English
+ ...
Thanks for the tip about the new Ernst Nov 13, 2003

Note that if you want to place an order with Kater, their shopping cart saves your selections only while you are on their site. If you leave and try to come back, your shopping cart will be empty. (Found out the hard way ordering about 10 books!)

Louise Mawbey  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all the suggestions/ tips Nov 14, 2003

I think I will go for the updated Ernst.

By the way, the book I was referring to is not the automotive one - the Wyhlidal automotive professional separate and is also more than 600€

TTV  Identity Verified
France
German to French
I would be doubtfull Nov 14, 2003

The Whylidal Automotive dictionnaries, either DE-EN or DE-FR, are IMO not "worth their money". I've been used them since years (in fact bought them, but not so often used, as they didn't proove to be very confident). Besides, their are really too expensive. So I would be doubtfull for their new dictionnary. New Ernst would be a good start, then you should acquire some more specialized technical dictionaries in fields you deal the more often with. Kater Verlag and Amazon.de are good sources, and among the cheapest.

xxxRobschmidt
English to German
+ ...
ERNST UPDATE! Jan 22, 2004

Hi ! you said that teh ernst is outdated. HOwever Brandstetter Verlag has now offered an update version of the ERNST for an additional 110 EUR. That may also be a good idea although I know for certain that Wyhlidal is a good dictionary. I have had a look at Wyhlidal Automotive dictionary.

Is there anyone who has got this dictionary and can tell me whether it is worth the money (over 600 €). I do a lot of technical work and my Ernst is extremely outdated, I need a really good alternative.

Thanks in advance

Or can anyone recommend a very good De -> EN technical dictionary?

[Edited at 2003-11-12 12:35][/quote]

Y-Fi
German to French
...for 220 EUR Aug 26, 2004

on the Brandstetter site. It is not so expensive as you may say I am speaking about the 2003 version.

Yvan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WYHLIDAL 2003 Industrie & Technik Professional

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search